Is the end of HTML as we know it?

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme said:
Data? Around a picture? In a table? What will it prove to show
text flowing around a pic in a table cell? If I can show you a
table with a cell that has a pic in it with text flowing around
it, will you then give up saying that "tables cannot really be
fluid"? Are you just going to use the word "really" as a licence
never to revise your statement and just keep hinting at its truth
instead of enlarging on it so that what *you* mean is clearer?

Just for the record, I do not think it is a good idea in general
these days to be using tables for making new pages (using them
for tabular data is another matter of course).

Just for the record - you asked for an example. I gave you one. There
are dozens more.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

dorayme

Jerry Stuckle said:
Just for the record - you asked for an example. I gave you one. There
are dozens more.

First, I did not ask 'for an example'. Second, where is the
example you claim to have given? And what exactly is it an
example of? And you have not answered the question I asked you
about what it would prove if *I* gave *you* a table with a cell
that had a picture with text wrapped around.

Look, I am not interested if you are merely saying something that
is somehow supposed to be a placeholder for all the pros of
semantic markup and good css styling. Even if you could rub a few
words together and do this, you would be preaching to the
converted. You made a claim that tables cannot be "really fluid"
and I was merely asking what *you* meant by this. I can think of
a few meanings, some of which support your claim and some not.

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme said:
First, I did not ask 'for an example'. Second, where is the
example you claim to have given? And what exactly is it an
example of? And you have not answered the question I asked you
about what it would prove if *I* gave *you* a table with a cell
that had a picture with text wrapped around.

Look, I am not interested if you are merely saying something that
is somehow supposed to be a placeholder for all the pros of
semantic markup and good css styling. Even if you could rub a few
words together and do this, you would be preaching to the
converted. You made a claim that tables cannot be "really fluid"
and I was merely asking what *you* meant by this. I can think of
a few meanings, some of which support your claim and some not.

You wanted to know what I mean when I say a table can't be fluid. I
gave you an example.

Let's see you wrap text around am image using tables and NO CSS. The
page must adjust to any reasonably sized window and text size (i.e. not
72 point font as the default, and not a 20x20 px window), flowing as
necessary to fill the window and continue to wrap around the picture.

Such is simple in CSS.

--
==================

Jerry Stuckle said:
You wanted to know what I mean when I say a table can't be fluid. I
gave you an example.

Look, it seems that we are on different wavelengths here. In my
understanding, an example of something that cannot exist cannot
be given. So why don't you be a little more precise in your words
and thoughts. It does no good endlessly repeating your same very
few words.

I have in mind that you may have some misconceptions, that you
are rolling a whole lot of concepts into the idea of fluid and it
is you who should be sorting all this out, considering it is you
who is making the big claim. Table based layout can easily be
user friendly in respect to using the size of the screen. A
simple example is a 100% wide table that has 2 columns, one that
is enough to hold a navigation list, the other for all the
content. That is a table layout. It is plenty fluid in many
senses of the word. Naturally, if you are meaning that a table
layout cannot involve css or em based or % dimensioning and has
to involve tables within tables and whatever then you are putting
up a straw man. That discussion is long dead.

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme said:
Look, it seems that we are on different wavelengths here. In my
understanding, an example of something that cannot exist cannot
be given. So why don't you be a little more precise in your words
and thoughts. It does no good endlessly repeating your same very
few words.

No, I gave you an example of a fluid design which can be easily
accomplished in CSS, but not with tables.
I have in mind that you may have some misconceptions, that you
are rolling a whole lot of concepts into the idea of fluid and it
is you who should be sorting all this out, considering it is you
who is making the big claim. Table based layout can easily be
user friendly in respect to using the size of the screen. A
simple example is a 100% wide table that has 2 columns, one that
is enough to hold a navigation list, the other for all the
content. That is a table layout. It is plenty fluid in many
senses of the word. Naturally, if you are meaning that a table
layout cannot involve css or em based or % dimensioning and has
to involve tables within tables and whatever then you are putting
up a straw man. That discussion is long dead.

No, I'm not. Fluid design is much more than setting a table to 100%
width of the window. That concept is from the 90's.

Nowadays fluid layouts can adjust to text size, window size. Content
isn't limited to just the two columns you mention - in fact, content can
wrap around the navigation area. Images in the window can have text
wrapped around them. And a whole bunch more that goes into a true fluid
design.

--
==================

Jerry Stuckle said:
No, I gave you an example of a fluid design which can be easily
accomplished in CSS, but not with tables.

You *gave* no such thing. You asked me to wrap data around a
picture (whatever that means and it could mean a whole bunch of
things). That is not giving a fluid design.

No, I'm not.

No you are not what?

Fluid design is much more than setting a table to 100%
width of the window. That concept is from the 90's.

And who suggested any such thing? Not me.
Nowadays fluid layouts can adjust to text size, window size. Content
isn't limited to just the two columns you mention - in fact, content can
wrap around the navigation area. Images in the window can have text
wrapped around them. And a whole bunch more that goes into a true fluid
design.

You are now just babbling trendy talk and being totally
imprecise.

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme said:
You *gave* no such thing. You asked me to wrap data around a
picture (whatever that means and it could mean a whole bunch of
things). That is not giving a fluid design.

No you are not what?

And who suggested any such thing? Not me.

You are now just babbling trendy talk and being totally
imprecise.

Nope, you're just trying to change the subject, turning it away from
questions you can't answer. You try to evade the challenge rather than
admit you can't do it with your precious tables.

I've finally come to the conclusion you're just a stoopid troll.

<plonk>

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)
==================

David Dorward

Did you ever notice that most of what the w3c recommends is a restriction
rather than an enhancement? Such policies are supposed to make things work
better, which they may do about half the time - maybe. From what I recall,
one cannot use the javascript method "document.write" in xhtml

That is just due to the way browsers have implemented it, not a
requirement of the specification.
and you have to put something like [[CDATA && ]] (?) near the element terminators.

XML is simpler than SGML and doesn't have a means of saying "Ignore <
and & characters inside <foo> elments". This means XML can be parsed
without needing access to a DTD, and that XML parsers can be smaller
and faster than SGML parsers.
Another of my favorites is the requirement of slash terminators for
unclosed elements.

Ditto. You don't need a DTD to find out if the element is finished or
not.

(For all the above, read "DTD" as "DTD or another means of knowing the
specific XML dialect")

Travis Newbury

That's not the point. CSS CAN be fluid design. Tables cannot really be
fluid.

So what, sites do not have to be fluid.
Read what I said. Then respond with some intelligence.
If it doesn't look "exactly the same on 100% of the visitors", it isn't
exactly the same, is it?

100% the same is irrelevant in the big picture. That is my point.
Not at all. Any *competent* webmaster would be able to do such.

In your opinion.
So do most graphic designers I know. And that's fine for a piece of
paper. But it's shows complete incompetence on the web, which is a
fluid layout.

In your opinion...
It is a lack of competence on your part.

Funny, I see it the opposite.

Travis Newbury

Just for the record - you asked for an example. I gave you one. There
are dozens more.

Oh are you going to do that "Look for it your self" thing again?

Jerry Stuckle

Travis said:
So what, sites do not have to be fluid.

100% the same is irrelevant in the big picture. That is my point.

In your opinion.

In your opinion...

Funny, I see it the opposite.

Yep, and obviously you're completely incompetent. You've already proven
that multiple times.

No go troll someplace else.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)
==================

Travis Newbury

Look, it seems that we are on different wavelengths here.

I believe Jerry just likes to pick fights. You are wasting your time
here Jerry is a closed minded buffoon. He fears what he does not
understand

Travis Newbury

You wanted to know what I mean when I say a table can't be fluid. I
gave you an example.
Let's see you wrap text around am image using tables and NO CSS.

Why no CSS? CSS and tables are not mutually exclusive. Only a buffoon
would think otherwise...

Travis Newbury

No, I'm not. Fluid design is much more than setting a table to 100%
width of the window. That concept is from the 90's.

Can you supply a URL to a site where you think is a great example if a
fluid design site?

Travis Newbury

Nope, you're just trying to change the subject, turning it away from
questions you can't answer.

OH GOD!!!! Another mystery question.... It's the "The ghost who
never lies..." (Family Guy fans will understand that...)
I've finally come to the conclusion you're just a stoopid troll.
<plonk>

This is a good thing...

Travis Newbury

Yep, and obviously you're completely incompetent. You've already proven
that multiple times.
No go troll someplace else.

Plonk me PLEASE for the love of God PLONK ME!!!!

Jerry Stuckle

Travis said:
Plonk me PLEASE for the love of God PLONK ME!!!!

Stoopid troll. ROFLMAO!

--
==================

Travis said:
Plonk me PLEASE for the love of God PLONK ME!!!!

It's funny. Incompetent asses like you can add nothing to the
conversation. Just like you haven't.

Just shows how big of a troll you are.

And no, I don't like to pick fights. I just don't put up with trolls,
assholes and idiots. And you match all three.

And you're even incompetent when you're a troll, asshole and idiot!

ROFLMAO!

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)

Travis Newbury

It's funny. Incompetent asses like you can add nothing to the
conversation. Just like you haven't.

Then stop replying to me