J2EE application communication method help

Xianzheng Zhou

Hi all,
I'm not a very experienced J2EE developer.
Recently, I'm trying to write an application which is divided into 3 tiers:

* business logic level (running on a J2EE server) consists of EJB
components.
* orchestration level (running on a J2EE server) which will accept
requests from client applications (not web browsers) and talk to
business logic level components to achieve certain tasks
* client level will run heavy client applications which will talk to
orchestration level across internet connections.

My question is: what communication method/protocol will be suitable for
the communications between these 3 tiers. The options are:
* RMI-IIOP
* XML-RPC
* SOAP
* Other :)

P.S. Transfer of binary data is also required

Could some one please give me some advices of which communication
methods shall I use? Performance is the priority consideration. Please
help. Thanks!!

Joe

arimanni

RMI may be easier but there's one important issue: the clients and the
J2EE server need to run on compatible JRE's.
With XML based protocol (such as SOAP):
- The client and server can run on different Java versions.
- You can also call the services with non-Java clients.

With RMI, it may be possible to achieve better performance, but it
needs careful design and implementation. With SOAP, you know exactly
what is being serialized.

Arne Vajhøj

Xianzheng said:
[...]

Considering that:
- it is fat client not web client
- performance is prioritized
then I would suggest you go for EJB calls (some RMI-IIOP on the
wire, but you do not care about wire format).

Arne