J2EE - which techno/framework client to cover this need ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by no, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. no

    no Guest

    Hello,
    We are going to build an application that will be deployed on a J2EE
    1.4 application server (that 's the only point we are positive about)
    and accessed only within the intranet.

    The issue here is regarding the interface :
    Basically, the need can be schematized like this :
    We need to fill some piece of information.
    Each screen are made of many combos. The available choices in one combo
    depends on the choice made in the previous ones. So I suppose, after
    each choice on the page, we will have an interaction with the server.

    I was thinking about different options, in order to make this
    application user-friendly and not to expensive to build :

    - traditional web 1.0 application : won't it be painful to use ?
    - multiples iframes : is that compatible with Struts ? JSF ?
    - using AJAX : which framework ? isn't it a bit risky, complex
    javascript -> high dependence on the browser version
    - swing / webstart ?
    - flash techno -> need of a proprietary IDE ?

    thanks for experience feedbacks.
    no, Mar 3, 2006

  2. no

    aerotops Guest

    If I was you and if time was short, I would just go ahead and use
    JavaScript. If I needed something fancier, I would AJAX. I am not too
    good with AJAX and if this is a big application, I might look into some
    AJAX library, preferrably something written in Java (since I am very
    comfortable with it). I would not go Swing or Webstart. Just for the
    simple reason that I am not very good at Swing.
    Flash is a good idea but think of all the remoting you will probably
    have to do. Might be easier in struts etc. Maybe have a bunch of forms
    and associate an onEvent() javascript for a combo box with a call to an
    action.
    aerotops, Mar 4, 2006

  3. no

    Guest

    The application you are building sounds a bit like a wizard. For that
    type of application I have found spring webflow is a better fit than
    struts.
    , Mar 4, 2006