J2ME on DOS??

jcpmont

I was wondering if there was any implementation on J2ME on DOS, or
more precisely on an old pc. I just figured that an old machine (in my
case an old 386 monochrome laptop with 4 MB of memory) is not that
diferent from a modern device with limited memory and display
capability. It seems to me that could be a good learning tool for
J2ME.
BTW is there a groups dedicated to J2ME?

Thanks
JC

jcpmont

Roedy Green said:
Maybe DOS plus an extender. Dos itself is limited to 640K.

I guess this implementation of J2ME would actually try to ditch DOS as
soon as possible, but still rely on the BIOS and some OS elements that
would take care of the usual memory management, IO, multithreading,
etc.

JC

Roedy Green

I guess this implementation of J2ME would actually try to ditch DOS as
soon as possible, but still rely on the BIOS and some OS elements that
would take care of the usual memory management, IO, multithreading,
etc.

Java wants long filename support which DOS, as opposed to emulated
DOS, does not have.

DOS is not a great starting point. It might be easier to start from
scratch to produce a tiny OS that will fit in that class of machine,
e.g. one written entirely in Java. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaos.html