J2ME Scheduled task?

knocker

Hi

I wonder if there's a way to do a scheduled task that launches an
application to perform a task in j2me?

I have the made a simple application, but I would like to be able to
schedule the work to be done at different times.

In a way it is similar to the alarm on a mobile phone, you set it and
it doesn't alert or query you until the appropriate time.

/Erik

JScoobyCed

knocker said:
Hi

I wonder if there's a way to do a scheduled task that launches an
application to perform a task in j2me?

I have the made a simple application, but I would like to be able to
schedule the work to be done at different times.

In a way it is similar to the alarm on a mobile phone, you set it and
it doesn't alert or query you until the appropriate time.

/Erik

I don't know any API that does that (you might need to look on a
websearch like google), but it can be done:
- Create your application
- Create a Launcher interface:
public interface Launcher {
public void launch();
}
- Create a launcher for this application:
public class myApplLauncher implements Launcher {
public void launch() {
myAppl ma = new myAppl();
ma.start();
}
- Create a MIDlet that starts a timer and check every second if the time
is the one configured. When it is, launch the launcher implementation.
For this MIDlet, you could have in the JAD file the parameters:
mytimer.launcher.implementation=foo.bar.myApplLauncher
mytimer.executionTime=21/09/2004 01:00:00

The timer MIDlet will get the parameters from the JAD file through
Class.getResourceAsStream() (see J2ME javadoc for that) and then it
doesn't need any hardcoded value.

Darryl L. Pierce

knocker said:
I wonder if there's a way to do a scheduled task that launches an
application to perform a task in j2me?

That would depend on the device; i.e., there's no way to schedule things
from within a MIDlet to then launch the MIDlet at set times.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]>