java 5 and eclipse.

steph

Hello,

What is the best way to use Eclipse for Java5 programming (code editor and
syntaxe highlighting, compilation) ?

Thanks in advance.

Jim McMaster

Hello,

What is the best way to use Eclipse for Java5 programming (code
editor and syntaxe highlighting, compilation) ?

Thanks in advance.

You have to use one of the 3.1 Milestone releases. There was a
"Cheetah" extension you could download for 3.0, but they stopped
developing that when they rolled the Java5 code into the main branch
for 3.1.

Be aware, the Java5 support is not finished, and is not scheduled to be
until next spring. The last posting I saw on the bug report says the
compiler now handles all the new features, but the JDT runtime does
not. If you want to read the latest status, look at
http://www.eclipse.org, and find bug report 36938 [plan item] Add early
support for J2SE 1.5 features.

The latest estimates from that bug report are:

Current estimates (still draft) for full JDT/Core support (i.e.
compiler,
search, codeassist, codeselect, formatting, model, dom ast).
M3(nov05) - generics
M4(dec17) - autoboxing, static imports
M5(feb18) - varargs, enums
M6(apr01) - annotations

Note the compiler will always be ahead of the rest of the tooling, so
it will
be fully 1.5 enabled way before all tools have been leveraged (we
expect at
beginning of 2005).