Java and Android

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Aug 18, 2010.

  1. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Aug 18, 2010

  2. On 08/17/2010 07:37 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Does Java run on Android?
    > I know that Android code contains a lot of Java code, but how easy is it
    > to port Java apps that are already written to Android? Anyone done it?

    <http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html>

    Perusing the documentation leads me to believe that your UI code would
    probably have to change.

    The java packages it lists in the Javadoc are:
    java.awt.font
    java.beans
    java.io
    java.lang{.annotation,.ref,.reflect}
    java.math
    java.net
    java.nio (with its subpackages)
    java.security (with some if not all subpackages)
    java.sql
    java.text
    java.util (with subpackages)

    So it seems that, outside UI, most stuff could probably stay the same.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Aug 18, 2010

  3. On 18/08/2010 00:57, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
    > On 08/17/2010 07:37 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Does Java run on Android?
    >> I know that Android code contains a lot of Java code, but how easy is it
    >> to port Java apps that are already written to Android? Anyone done it?
    >>

    > <http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html>
    >
    > Perusing the documentation leads me to believe that your UI code would
    > probably have to change.
    >
    > The java packages it lists in the Javadoc are:
    > java.awt.font
    > java.beans
    > java.io
    > java.lang{.annotation,.ref,.reflect}
    > java.math
    > java.net
    > java.nio (with its subpackages)
    > java.security (with some if not all subpackages)
    > java.sql
    > java.text
    > java.util (with subpackages)
    >
    > So it seems that, outside UI, most stuff could probably stay the same.

    A bit of a pain since most of my apps are mostly graphics i/o.
    How about the reverse - will an Android Java app run on a PC?

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Aug 18, 2010
  4. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

    > A bit of a pain since most of my apps are mostly graphics i/o.
    > How about the reverse - will an Android Java app run on a PC?

    Only in the Android emulator.
    If you want to develop a multi platform application you should separate
    your application into at least a davice independant back-end and a device
    dependant front-end. Or even more just use the Model View Controller (MVC)
    [1] concept.

    Robert

    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model–View–Controller
    Robert Kochem, Aug 20, 2010