    Any advice?

    Thanks,

    Markis

    Markis Landis Gardner, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Markis Landis Gardner

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a good beginners Java book that does not teach applets or
    > web programming. Just what I call console programming. I want to first
    > learn that then work my way up to GUI's and applets and web programming.

    > think it is a little much to try to learn so much about Java at once. I
    > just want to get the basics down pat then move on, especially since I come
    > from a non-OO language.
    >
    > I am a seasoned C programmer, so definately looking for some good OO

    advice
    > in the book.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Markis

    Java 2 Primer Plus, Steven Haines & Stephen Potts

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Sorry, Mark, have few actual suggestions for you, but..

    "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote in
    message news:%4JKb.2167$...
    | I am looking for a good beginners Java book that does not teach
    applets or
    | web programming. Just what I call console programming. I want
    to first
    | learn that then work my way up to GUI's and applets and web
    programming. I

    I feel you've made a good choice.
    1) It is simpler debugging from the command line.
    2) The 'drag-n-drop' GUI design IDE's that most
    people scream for when they are learning Java,
    don't teach you how to do things from the command
    line. When something goes wrong (as it invariably does)
    they have no clue how to fix it.
    3) Command line classes can have a GUI put on top
    later (one of the advantages of OO)

    Having had my little rave, I will give
    you the link to Sun's Java tutorial trails
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html

    Unfortunately a lot of Sun's examples
    seem to both abuse OO to jam all
    functionality of the example into a
    single class, as well as have a tendency to
    use examples that assume you want a GUI.

    [ I think that there will be better recommendations,
    but I just thought I'd suggest it in case you were
    not be aware of them. ]

    HTH (and all the best in your learning)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Markis Landis Gardner

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Mark, have few actual suggestions for you, but..
    >
    > "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote in
    > message news:%4JKb.2167$...
    > | I am looking for a good beginners Java book that does not teach
    > applets or
    > | web programming. Just what I call console programming. I want
    > to first
    > | learn that then work my way up to GUI's and applets and web
    > programming. I
    >
    > I feel you've made a good choice.
    > 1) It is simpler debugging from the command line.
    > 2) The 'drag-n-drop' GUI design IDE's that most
    > people scream for when they are learning Java,
    > don't teach you how to do things from the command
    > line. When something goes wrong (as it invariably does)
    > they have no clue how to fix it.
    > 3) Command line classes can have a GUI put on top
    > later (one of the advantages of OO)
    >
    > Having had my little rave, I will give
    > you the link to Sun's Java tutorial trails
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html
    >
    > Unfortunately a lot of Sun's examples
    > seem to both abuse OO to jam all
    > functionality of the example into a
    > single class, as well as have a tendency to
    > use examples that assume you want a GUI.
    >
    > [ I think that there will be better recommendations,
    > but I just thought I'd suggest it in case you were
    > not be aware of them. ]
    >
    > HTH (and all the best in your learning)
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompson
    > * http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite
    > * http://www.1point1C.org/ 1.1C - Superluminal!
    > * http://www.AThompson.info/andrew/ personal site

    Ah, and on that note, look here often as you learn and have questions,
    assuming you're using the latest version:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/index.html

    Or the downloadable version (which will save you a ton of time later unless
    you always have perfect net connectivity):
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 7, 2004
  5. In article <%4JKb.2167$>,
    "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote:

    > I am looking for a good beginners Java book that does not teach applets or
    > web programming.

    You will find that most books at least touch on these topics. As long
    as they do not touch too deeply, I would not write off a book for having
    them.

    Suiting actions to words:
    Just Java - Peter Van Der Linden
    Core Java vol 1 and 2 - Cay Horstmann
    Thinking in Java - Bruce Eckel

    The last can be downloaded for free from his website, and purchased if
    you found it useful.

    These are what my friends have been using to learn Java, and they are
    getting the OO thing pretty well. Each has liked a different subset of
    these books for various reasons.

    > Just what I call console programming. I want to first
    > learn that then work my way up to GUI's and applets and web programming. I
    > think it is a little much to try to learn so much about Java at once. I
    > just want to get the basics down pat then move on, especially since I come
    > from a non-OO language.

    A very good thought. For what it is worth, you will soak up a lot of OO
    practice in the GUI sections of these books, as that is where Sun did a
    bit better OO job. (IMO, I realize.)

    You will find, once you learn the language, that Joshua Bloch's book
    "Effective Java" will be helpful, but that comes a bit after the first
    three.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Markis Landis Gardner

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > I am looking for a good beginners Java book that does not teach applets

    or
    > > web programming. Just what I call console programming. I want to first
    > > learn that then work my way up to GUI's and applets and web programming.

    > > think it is a little much to try to learn so much about Java at once. I
    > > just want to get the basics down pat then move on, especially since I

    come
    > > from a non-OO language.
    > >
    > > I am a seasoned C programmer, so definately looking for some good OO

    > advice
    > > in the book.
    > >
    > > Any advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Markis

    > Java 2 Primer Plus, Steven Haines & Stephen Potts

    Here for a sample chapter:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1A426FF6

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 8, 2004