Java MVC frameworks for desktop apps

Discussion in 'Java' started by petermichaux@yahoo.com, Feb 18, 2006.

    >From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

    server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
    desktop apps? Is there a standard?

    Thanks,
    Peter

    , Feb 18, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >>From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

    > server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
    > desktop apps? Is there a standard?

    All the different web or MVC frameworks have different characteristics
    depending on what features and what point of view the author thinks is
    most important. E.g. Struts is a heavyweight Model 2 MVC framework,
    while f.ex tomcat is considered a lighter mvc framework than struts.
    There are some real lightweight frameworks starting to pop up, because
    more and more people are a bit tired of the heavyweight systems, eg.
    spring. What you need to do first and foremost is read an article or two
    about MVC and its different types. Then you can look at some frameworks
    to figure out which you want to use.

    Look at wikipedia.org and search for "web application framework" and
    "mvc" (model-view-controller) and you will find some more info to look at.

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Feb 18, 2006

    Any keywords/names for Java *desktop* app MVC's? (maybe the same as the
    web frameworks?)

    , Feb 18, 2006
  4. Alvin Ryder Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > >From what I understand, Struts is MVC framework for developing

    > server-side apps. What MVC frameworks are popular for developing Java
    > desktop apps? Is there a standard?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    Swing. It's the standard and it does more for desktop apps than Struts
    does for web apps. Struts really only focuses on the "C" part of MVC
    whereas Swing has strong support for the View and Controller.

    Alvin Ryder, Feb 18, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Any keywords/names for Java *desktop* app MVC's? (maybe the same as the
    > web frameworks?)

    Sorry, I did not notice the word "desktop" there, until just now :(

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Feb 19, 2006