java.net.IDN jar for JDK 1.5?

Jan Burse

Dear All,

Just noticed that JDK 1.6 has the new class java.net.IDN,
which provides Namerep and Punycode.

Any .jar file around that can be used to add this
functionality (this class) to JDK 1.5?

Best Regards

lewbloch

Dear All,

Just noticed that JDK 1.6 has the new class java.net.IDN,
which provides Namerep and Punycode.

Any .jar file around that can be used to add this
functionality (this class) to JDK 1.5?

I don't find one with a quick trip to Google, although it looks like
there might be a com.sun.* package out there somewhere that has it.

You are aware that Java 5 has been retired for nearly two years now,
right?

"J2SE 5.0 End of Service Life Notice

"J2SE 5.0 reached its End of Service Life (EOSL) on November 3, 2009,
which is the date of the final publicly available update of version
5.0 (J2SE 5.0 Update 22) ..."
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jdk5-
jsp-142662.html>

That means that it's missing several bug and security updates that
have made it into Java 6.

Jan Burse

lewbloch said:
I don't find one with a quick trip to Google, although it looks like
there might be a com.sun.* package out there somewhere that has it.

You are aware that Java 5 has been retired for nearly two years now,
right?

"J2SE 5.0 End of Service Life Notice

"J2SE 5.0 reached its End of Service Life (EOSL) on November 3, 2009,
which is the date of the final publicly available update of version
5.0 (J2SE 5.0 Update 22) ..."
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jdk5-
jsp-142662.html>

That means that it's missing several bug and security updates that
have made it into Java 6.

I guess you are preaching to the converted?
Its not me who is using JDK 1.5, but some
supplier of mine. And I need to create layer,
that works accross JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6.

Bye

Arne Vajhøj

Just noticed that JDK 1.6 has the new class java.net.IDN,
which provides Namerep and Punycode.

Any .jar file around that can be used to add this
functionality (this class) to JDK 1.5?

GNU libidn has a Java implementation.

Arne

Jan Burse

Arne said:
GNU libidn has a Java implementation.

Arne
http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/
They write: A native Java and C# port is included.

Does it mean the Java lib just calls C? Or is
it a pure Java implementation? I am thinking
about bundling the jar with an applet, so when
it uses some native component then it would be
problematic.

There is indeed some sun lib which has for
example Punycode:

package sun.net.idn;
public final class Punycode;

But using such libraries does not work,
because for example an Oracle applet does bar
the package sun.* from use in an applet. One will
get an exception. Which makes sense, since different
applet provides might have different internal
libraries.

I guess sun.net.idn is old, judging from the change log:
http://www.docjar.com/html/api/sun/net/idn/Punycode.java.html

Maybe there is a com.ibm.icu jar?

Bye

Arne Vajhøj

http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/
They write: A native Java and C# port is included.

Does it mean the Java lib just calls C? Or is
it a pure Java implementation? I am thinking
about bundling the jar with an applet, so when
it uses some native component then it would be
problematic.

I assume that native Java means pure Java.
There is indeed some sun lib which has for
example Punycode:

package sun.net.idn;
public final class Punycode;

But using such libraries does not work,
because for example an Oracle applet does bar
the package sun.* from use in an applet. One will
get an exception. Which makes sense, since different
applet provides might have different internal
libraries.

I guess sun.net.idn is old, judging from the change log:
http://www.docjar.com/html/api/sun/net/idn/Punycode.java.html

Maybe there is a com.ibm.icu jar?

I still think libidn is your best option.

Arne