Java Update gives error

Jane

I'm being prompted to update Java. When I click on 'Install' I get
the following message:

"revocation information for the security certificate for this site is
not available. Do you want to proceed?"

I don't know what this means so I've canceled the install.

Can someone please tell me if this is a problem.

I have Windows XP. All my Windows updates are current.

thanks

Mark Space

Jane said:
I'm being prompted to update Java. When I click on 'Install' I get
the following message:

"revocation information for the security certificate for this site is
not available. Do you want to proceed?"

Which web site did you visit?

You can ask your local installation to check for an update:

Control Panel -> Programs -> Java (on my system anyway) and then click
on the Update tab.

If that process asks you to confirm a certificate, it's probably safe.
I wouldn't trust random certificates that pop up when I'm visiting a
website, either.

Jane

Which web site did you visit?

You can ask your local installation to check for an update:

Control Panel -> Programs -> Java (on my system anyway) and then click
on the Update tab.

If that process asks you to confirm a certificate, it's probably safe.
I wouldn't trust random certificates that pop up when I'm visiting a
website, either.

good idea. thanks

Roedy Green

"revocation information for the security certificate for this site is
not available. Do you want to proceed?"

I don't know what this means so I've canceled the install.

Can someone please tell me if this is a problem.

I have Windows XP. All my Windows updates are current.

The safe way to update Java is to go to the Official Sun Site. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html

An expired cert is generally not a big deal. Even big companies fail
to update their SSL certificates. Sometimes even companies that sell
or issue certificates slip up. A revoked one is more of a red flag.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"At this point, 29 percent of fish and seafood species have collapsed - that is,
their catch has declined by 90 percent. It is a very clear trend, and it is accelerating.
If the long-term trend continues, all fish and seafood species are projected to collapse
within my lifetime -- by 2048."
~ Dr. Boris Worm of Dalhousie University