java web start and console apps

tom

Hi
I want to use Java Web Start for a non gui client. The client will have
no windowing so it has to be console only. Has anyone been successful
in using JWS in non-gui environments? if not, can you recommend another
type of an autoupdate runtime environment that requires no GUI but can
be command line only?
Thanks
T.

Thomas Fritsch

tom said:
Hi
I want to use Java Web Start for a non gui client. The client will have
no windowing so it has to be console only. Has anyone been successful
in using JWS in non-gui environments? if not, can you recommend another
type of an autoupdate runtime environment that requires no GUI but can
be command line only?
Thanks
T.
I have never tried that, but as far as I know Sun's JavaWebStart
requires a GUI environment.
So I think you'll have to look for an alternative JNLP implementation.
Look through <http://www.google.de/search?q=JNLP++implementation>.
Promising candidates might be
"Jsh" <http://gerard.collin3.free.fr/documentation.html> and/or
"Java URL" <http://www.amherst.edu/~tliron/javaurl/>.