    If I want to have JRE1.4 installed, but have an app that downloads JRE1.5
    to run something via JWS, will the system be upgraded to 1.5 as well ?

    Or does it depend on the OS ?
    Paul Robson, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Paul Robson wrote:
    > A question regarding Java Web Start
    >
    > I understand that by putting the appropriate link in the file I can force
    > download of a specified JRE to run the application (if it isn't already
    > there).

    Your understanding is flawed. By putting the appropriate
    *attribute* of the J2SE element of the JNLP, you can
    specify either a minimum or exact version that needs
    to be present for the app. to run.

    By adding a location of the autodownload CAB, you can
    also suggest to your end user, where they can get it,
    and also show a generic download page for the non
    IE/Windows users.

    It is up to the end user whether they proceed with
    the download, and their sytem administrator as to
    whether they have the necessary rights to install it.

    > My question is ; does this overwrite the system JRE.

    No.

    > If I want to have JRE1.4 installed, but have an app that downloads JRE1.5
    > to run something via JWS, will the system be upgraded to 1.5 as well ?

    Probably, but then, that is probably a good thing to do
    (upgrade) for any application that has not, itself, requested
    version '1.4.oIFailOnAnyOtherMicroVersionJRE'.

    > Or does it depend on the OS ?

    Shrugs.. Why worry about it?
    Other applications or not our problem.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Paul Robson

    Paul Robson Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 04:43:55 -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > Paul Robson wrote:
    >> A question regarding Java Web Start

    Thanks :)
    Paul Robson, Nov 11, 2006