javaScript Cookies

John Taylor-Johnston

I'm a University academic looking for a proper definition of JavaScript Cookies.

http://www.CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca/languesmodernes/604-HAE_Grammar_Practice/

I'm trying to decipher what categor(ies) JavaScript cookies fall under, according to Internet Explorer's help.cfm. What I don't understand is where do JavaScript cookies fall under the help.cfm definition.
Maybe I'm not reading "their" English properly? (See below.)

"Persistent - first-party - collect information without permission - ?? "

JavaScript Cookies are persistent. (I set them to expire after 12 hours).

Are JavaScript Cookies first-party? They are strictly client-side, but could be collected server-side with PHP.

If I set IE privacy settings to "High", they won't work; they will work on medium-high.

What I don't understand is where do JavaScript cookies fall under the help.cfm definition.
Maybe I'm not reading "their" English properly?

John

------snip------

High
- Cookies from all Web sites that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) will be blocked
- Cookies from all Web sites that use your personally identifiable information without your explicit consent will be blocked"

Medium High
- Cookies from third-party Web sites that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) will be blocked
- Cookies from third-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable information without your explicit consent will be blocked
- Cookies from first-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable information without your implicit consent will be blocked

Medium
- Cookies from third-party Web sites that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) will be blocked
- Cookies from third-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable information without your implicit consent will be blocked
- Cookies from first-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable information without your implicit consent will be deleted from your computer when you close Internet Explorer

------snip------
First-Party vs. Third-Party cookies
A first-party cookie either originates on or is sent to the Web site you are currently viewing. ... A third-party cookie either originates on or is sent to a Web site different from the one you are currently viewing.

------snip------
A persistent cookie is one stored as a file on your computer, and it remains there when you close Internet Explorer. The cookie can be read by the Web site that created it when you visit that site again.

John Taylor-Johnston

Anyone? I'm trying to fit a definition from IE to JavaScript cookies.

--
John Taylor-Johnston
"If it's not open-source, it's Murphy's Law."

' ' ' Collège de Sherbrooke:
ô¿ô http://www.collegesherbrooke.qc.ca/languesmodernes/
- Université de Sherbrooke:
http://compcanlit.ca/