JBoss

~kurt

Philipp Taprogge said:
What you could /not/ do, is modify the JBoss itself, adding custem components
and then selling this modified JBoss as your own, closed source appserver.

I never said you could. I believe we are using the word "use" differently.
When I say use, I'm not talking about incorporating it into my own code.

- Kurt

~kurt

Philipp Taprogge said:
No it has not.
Nvidia uses a lightweight wrapper that is open source and links against the
kernel. This wrapper in turn uses nvidias closed source libs to do it's stuff.
That's how they try to get _around_ the GPL requirements. Whether or not this
is legal is still subject to some debate within the kernel community

I realize this, but in the end it all links as one application, which,
according to the GPL the last time I read it, means it is in violation
of the GPL. I really thought much of the wrapper was necessary to allow
the user to build a module that would load for the large variety and versions
of kernels out there (every time I change my kernel, I need to rebuild
the Nvidia driver). I didn't think it was meant as a way to sidestep the
license - I could be wrong on that, of course.

There was a push by some of the Linux kernel developers recently to modify
Linux so that it would not only warn the user that "dirty" code was being
loaded (as it does now), but disable that code after a certain period of time
(I think it was a year). Linus stepped in and basically told him his
kernel was not going to be used to further their own "political" views
on how software should be licensed.

- Kurt

Guest

Lew said:
I wouldn't include MySQL in this list. By some accounts the only legal
way to use it in commercial projects is to use their non-GPL, for-pay
license.

That is just FUD from them.
In any event, I don't see how MySQL markets a service so much as they
market a product suite.

http://www.mysql.com/products/enterprise/support.html

"MySQL Enterprise includes 24x7 Production Support that helps you
deliver continuous availability for your production database
applications. MySQL Production Support gives you priority access with
fast response times to assist you with the development, deployment and
management of your MySQL applications. MySQL Enterprise gives you the
flexibility to choose a service level (Basic, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
that matches your requirements"

I think that is what they make money on.

Arne

Mark Thornton

Philipp said:
Hi!

Thus spake Lew on 05/20/2007 08:33 PM:

That heavily depends on what you mean by "use". If you "use" the DB to store
your application's data via JDBC (which is LGPL) or similar, you can use the
GPL'ed version.
If you use their api or embed the database itself into a commercial product,
you are screwed...

The MySQL JDBC driver is GPL licensed NOT LGPL, so you can't base a non
GPL commercial product on using that driver. On the other hand end users
can use it with a non GPL product.

Mark Thornton

Philipp Taprogge

Hi!

Thus spake Mark Thornton on 05/20/2007 11:02 PM:
The MySQL JDBC driver is GPL licensed NOT LGPL, so you can't base a non
GPL commercial product on using that driver. On the other hand end users
can use it with a non GPL product.

You are right, of course. It was the MM MySQL driver that was/is LGPL.

Regards,

Phil

Philipp Taprogge

Hi!

Thus spake ~kurt on 05/20/2007 08:52 PM:
I never said you could. I believe we are using the word "use" differently.
When I say use, I'm not talking about incorporating it into my own code.

I see you don't. But that's just the problem with this license issue. It all
depends on what you mean by "use" and the OPs initial question did not make
that clear.

Regards,

Phil