JINI - some questions, and example of chat.

Mr. X.

Hello,
I have looked for JINI examples,
and found them too complicated ones,
so I don't know where to start.

Besides there are several problems after install JINI 2.1 (starter kit),
and I would like some answers to following, too, please.
1. In eclipse I do : import net.jini ... and the options are only :
net.jini.security.* and net.jini.security.policy.*
What should I do on Eclipse, and what should I declare on the class-path.
2. I don't know whether JRE 1.6 is fine, for using JINI,
or should I use only JDK 1.2 ?
3. Should I start some server side - How can I do that ?
4. Some of examples I have found on the Internet doesn't even compile.
i.e. :
http://www.enete.com/noel/nuggets_jini/index.html
if I search into :
http://www.enete.com/noel/nuggets_jini/pages/StartJiniSummary.html
but when running "r2" on "\nuggets \pages \examples \StartJini",
I got the message :
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot
find the path specified
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

The situation is :
There is a server, keeps a whiteboard.
On the whiteboard any users can join, and put their own message
(or simple graphics, or whatever).
Any users on other computers, that joined the group can put it's message
(like chatting), and see others.
Right now no security needed.

The goal is to do above using JINI.
(simple - no security, etc...)

Thanks :)

Patrick May

Mr. X. said:
I have looked for JINI examples, and found them too complicated
ones, so I don't know where to start.

From http://www.jini.org, follow the link on the left to "Getting
Started". There are several examples there, including one from Dan
Creswell on creating a Jini service.
Besides there are several problems after install JINI 2.1 (starter
kit), and I would like some answers to following, too, please.
1. In eclipse I do : import net.jini ... and the options are only :
net.jini.security.* and net.jini.security.policy.* What should I
do on Eclipse, and what should I declare on the class-path.

This is a better question for an Eclipse group. I'd suggest
using a text editor and command line rather than an IDE to get started
with Jini. You'll get a better understanding of the details and
mechanics instead of spending time fighting with an IDE.
2. I don't know whether JRE 1.6 is fine, for using JINI, or should I
use only JDK 1.2 ?

I haven't tried 1.6, but 1.5 works.
3. Should I start some server side - How can I do that ?

See Jan Newmarch's guide for step by step instructions:

http://jan.newmarch.name/java/jini/tutorial/Jini.xml

[ . . . ]
The situation is :
There is a server, keeps a whiteboard. On the whiteboard any users
can join, and put their own message (or simple graphics, or
whatever). Any users on other computers, that joined the group can
put it's message (like chatting), and see others. Right now no
security needed.

The goal is to do above using JINI. (simple - no security, etc...)

You want a Jini service known as a JavaSpace. Dan Creswell
built Blitz (http://www.dancres.org/blitz/index.html), an open source
implementation. GigaSpaces (http://www.gigaspaces.com) has a
commercial, enterprise grade implementation underlying their Space
Based Architecture (DISCLAIMER: I work for GigaSpaces).

Regards,

Patrick

Mr. X.

O.K.

What should I start now ?
(JINI come first or JavaSpace ?)

Let's examine JavaSpace,
need the simpliest sample only for that issue, step by step, please.

Thanks :)

Mr. X.

I use kind of whiteboard, and it seems JINI covers other issues as well,
and it's like sinking in ocean.

I have found a good site : http://java.sun.com/developer/Books/JavaSpaces/
and started from there.

Next I started over finding to discovering Javaspace, using JINI :
LookupLocator & ServiceRegistrar, and also debuged my code ...

and now I am trying put the whole pazzle together.

I hope I'll manage soon ...

(But I didn't find so so good example arround the internet, that make my
efforts easier).

Thanks, anyway :)

Patrick May

Mr. X. said:
I use kind of whiteboard, and it seems JINI covers other issues as
well, and it's like sinking in ocean.

I have found a good site :
http://java.sun.com/developer/Books/JavaSpaces/ and started from
there.

Next I started over finding to discovering Javaspace, using JINI :
LookupLocator & ServiceRegistrar, and also debuged my code ...

and now I am trying put the whole pazzle together.

I hope I'll manage soon ...

(But I didn't find so so good example arround the internet, that
make my efforts easier).

Did you try Jan Newmarch's website?

I just got back from vacation -- I'll try to pull together an
example over the next few days.

Regards,

Patrick