JINI - some questions, and example of chat.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mr. X., Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Hello,
    I have looked for JINI examples,
    and found them too complicated ones,
    so I don't know where to start.

    Besides there are several problems after install JINI 2.1 (starter kit),
    and I would like some answers to following, too, please.
    1. In eclipse I do : import net.jini ... and the options are only :
    net.jini.security.* and net.jini.security.policy.*
    What should I do on Eclipse, and what should I declare on the class-path.
    2. I don't know whether JRE 1.6 is fine, for using JINI,
    or should I use only JDK 1.2 ?
    3. Should I start some server side - How can I do that ?
    4. Some of examples I have found on the Internet doesn't even compile.
    i.e. :
    http://www.enete.com/noel/nuggets_jini/index.html
    if I search into :
    http://www.enete.com/noel/nuggets_jini/pages/StartJiniSummary.html
    but when running "r2" on "\nuggets \pages \examples \StartJini",
    I got the message :
    Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot
    find the path specified
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

    The situation is :
    There is a server, keeps a whiteboard.
    On the whiteboard any users can join, and put their own message
    (or simple graphics, or whatever).
    Any users on other computers, that joined the group can put it's message
    (like chatting), and see others.
    Right now no security needed.

    The goal is to do above using JINI.
    (simple - no security, etc...)

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Jun 30, 2007

  2. Mr. X.

    Patrick May Guest

    "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> writes:
    > I have looked for JINI examples, and found them too complicated
    > ones, so I don't know where to start.

    From http://www.jini.org, follow the link on the left to "Getting
    Started". There are several examples there, including one from Dan
    Creswell on creating a Jini service.

    > Besides there are several problems after install JINI 2.1 (starter
    > kit), and I would like some answers to following, too, please.
    > 1. In eclipse I do : import net.jini ... and the options are only :
    > net.jini.security.* and net.jini.security.policy.* What should I
    > do on Eclipse, and what should I declare on the class-path.

    This is a better question for an Eclipse group. I'd suggest
    using a text editor and command line rather than an IDE to get started
    with Jini. You'll get a better understanding of the details and
    mechanics instead of spending time fighting with an IDE.

    > 2. I don't know whether JRE 1.6 is fine, for using JINI, or should I
    > use only JDK 1.2 ?

    I haven't tried 1.6, but 1.5 works.

    > 3. Should I start some server side - How can I do that ?

    See Jan Newmarch's guide for step by step instructions:

    http://jan.newmarch.name/java/jini/tutorial/Jini.xml

    [ . . . ]
    > The situation is :
    > There is a server, keeps a whiteboard. On the whiteboard any users
    > can join, and put their own message (or simple graphics, or
    > whatever). Any users on other computers, that joined the group can
    > put it's message (like chatting), and see others. Right now no
    > security needed.
    >
    > The goal is to do above using JINI. (simple - no security, etc...)

    You want a Jini service known as a JavaSpace. Dan Creswell
    built Blitz (http://www.dancres.org/blitz/index.html), an open source
    implementation. GigaSpaces (http://www.gigaspaces.com) has a
    commercial, enterprise grade implementation underlying their Space
    Based Architecture (DISCLAIMER: I work for GigaSpaces).

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO
    Patrick May, Jun 30, 2007

  3. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    O.K.

    What should I start now ?
    (JINI come first or JavaSpace ?)

    Let's examine JavaSpace,
    need the simpliest sample only for that issue, step by step, please.

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Jul 2, 2007
  4. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    I use kind of whiteboard, and it seems JINI covers other issues as well,
    and it's like sinking in ocean.

    I have found a good site : http://java.sun.com/developer/Books/JavaSpaces/
    and started from there.

    Next I started over finding to discovering Javaspace, using JINI :
    LookupLocator & ServiceRegistrar, and also debuged my code ...

    and now I am trying put the whole pazzle together.

    I hope I'll manage soon ...

    (But I didn't find so so good example arround the internet, that make my
    efforts easier).

    Thanks, anyway :)
    Mr. X., Jul 3, 2007
  5. Mr. X.

    Patrick May Guest

    "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> writes:
    > I use kind of whiteboard, and it seems JINI covers other issues as
    > well, and it's like sinking in ocean.
    >
    > I have found a good site :
    > http://java.sun.com/developer/Books/JavaSpaces/ and started from
    > there.
    >
    > Next I started over finding to discovering Javaspace, using JINI :
    > LookupLocator & ServiceRegistrar, and also debuged my code ...
    >
    > and now I am trying put the whole pazzle together.
    >
    > I hope I'll manage soon ...
    >
    > (But I didn't find so so good example arround the internet, that
    > make my efforts easier).

    Did you try Jan Newmarch's website?

    I just got back from vacation -- I'll try to pull together an
    example over the next few days.

    Patrick May, Jul 5, 2007