JNLP file download error

Ferman

Hi,

I want to run a jnlp file. But it gives me an error like this "Unsigned
application requesting unrestricted access to system". Can I solve this
problem ?

Thanks you.

Andrew Thompson

Ferman said:
Hi,

I want to run a jnlp file. But it gives me an error like this "Unsigned
application requesting unrestricted access to system". Can I solve this
problem ?

You either need to make a 'self signed certificate'
which is complicated, but free, or you can purchase
a signed certificate for (what seemed at the time to be)
an exorbitant fee from VeriSign or similar..

You might start here..
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/sign/signing.html

Ferman

I prepare that jar file with keytool and jarsigner. But I don't install it
my machine by Java Web Start. I gives this error. I think the security
setting of my internet explorer in the machine is wrong, but I didn't find
the wrong parameters of my ie.

Andrew Thompson

Ferman said:
I prepare that jar file with keytool and jarsigner. But I don't install it
my machine by Java Web Start. I gives this error.

Wait, now I read that more closely
....."Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system".

Your talking about a dialog like shown here, right?
http://physci.org/install/security.htm

That is not actually an error, as the dialog says on the
top left, it is a security _warning_. If you click yes,
(or more important, convince your users to click yes)
the Java jar should begin to install.

You can see the whole process happening if you try
mine, available here.
http://physci.org/install/download.htm
[ ..assuming you trust _me_ ;-) ]
I think the security
setting of my internet explorer in the machine is wrong, but I didn't find
the wrong parameters of my ie.

No. If I now understand you correctly, the
'security settings' of the browser are not
relevant, they do _not_ need to be adjusted.

HTH

Ferman

My browser doesn't give any security warning dialog box. It give a dialog
box with "Java Web Start - Security Error" title, and this dialog box has
"OK" and "Details" button. My browser is ie.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.lensescapes.com/

Andrew Thompson

[ top posting corrected ]
Ferman said:
My browser doesn't give any security warning dialog box. It give a dialog
box with "Java Web Start - Security Error" title, and this dialog box has
"OK" and "Details" button. My browser is ie.

[[[ _Please_ do not top-post Ferman. It makes a
conversation much harder for me to understand. ]]]

OK. That sounds like your Dialog must have different
words below both
"Java Web Start - Security Error"
and
"Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system"

Where is your URL? This could work much
faster if I (and others) can see it for themselves.

Ferman

Thanks Andrew.

I think my browser has some wrong parameter, because of this my ie gives me
this error dialog box. URL of my program places in my machine in our company
intranet under the firewall.

I run my program another machine but I don't run it on my machine. Because I
sign the jar file, I take the error dialog box. Also my ie has some wrong
parameter. But I don't find this parameter of internet explorer 6.0.

Do you know what parameters of internet explorer 6.0 I should change ?

Again thanks.

Ferman

Dale King

Andrew Thompson said:
Wait, now I read that more closely
...."Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system".

Your talking about a dialog like shown here, right?
http://physci.org/install/security.htm

That is not actually an error, as the dialog says on the
top left, it is a security _warning_. If you click yes,
(or more important, convince your users to click yes)
the Java jar should begin to install.

No, you are thinking of a different dialog. In this case the message
indicates that the jar file is not signed. Webstart will not let you run a
program outside of the sandbox that is not signed. Even if you were to trust
the person publishing the program, someone else could have modified the
program without the publisher of the program being aware of it. If it is not
signed there is no way to detect that the program was modified. Letting such
a program run with full permissions would be a big security risk.

Tim Tyler

: I prepare that jar file with keytool and jarsigner. But I don't install it
: my machine by Java Web Start. I gives this error. I think the security
: setting of my internet explorer in the machine is wrong, but I didn't find
: the wrong parameters of my ie.

Which JVM is it using?

The MS JVM pays no attention to Sun's certificates.