JScript runtime error '800a138f' 'undefined' is null or not an obj

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dan Roberts @ Kent State, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. I am running some off-the-shelf software that is written in ASP, which uses
    JScript to generate dynamic content within HTML forms. There are several ASP
    pages which are partially rendering to IE, but stop midway through with an
    error embeded in the page: "Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a138f'
    'undefined' is null or not an object".

    The software package has a large install base with no other customer having
    this problem. I also have a second identical install on another server
    pointing to the same SQL database, and it doesn't exibit this problem either.

    Our own developers were able to work around the problem by making a small
    change to the code.

    The original code:

    <%=String(rs("Question")).length > 100?
    RemoveHTML(String(rs("Section"))).substr(0, 100) + "...":
    RemoveHTML(String(rs("Section")))%>

    Changed to:

    <%if (String(rs("Section")).length > 100)
    {Response.Write(String(rs("Section")).substr(0, 100) + "...") ;} else {
    Response.Write(rs("Section")); }%>

    The latter bit of code had to have two changes.. one to change the odd
    conditional statement to a more traditional if-statement, and second to avoid
    calling the RemoveHTML function, both which cause an error.

    function RemoveHTML(Expresion)
    on error resume next
    Dim RegEx
    Set RegEx = New RegExp
    RegEx.Pattern = "<[^>]*>"
    RegEx.Global = True
    Expresion = Replace(Expresion, "<br>", chr(10))
    RemoveHTML = RegEx.Replace(Expresion, "")
    end function

    I've searched Microsoft's KB and Googled the error, and so far nothing
    useful has come up. Any ideas on what the cause is or how I can further
    troubleshoot?

    !!! Again, there is nothing wrong with the code.. it works on hundreds of
    other servers. There is something particular about my server that is causing
    this !!!

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

    --
    Dan Roberts, MCSE
    Systems Administrator

    Dan Roberts @ Kent State, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Dan Roberts @ Kent State

    Jon Guest

    It would seem odd it would be server-dependent. But for my morbid curiosity
    what server are you using? And is this different to the ones other people
    are using?

    --
    Jon

    Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!

    Jon, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Dan Roberts @ Kent State

    Bullschmidt Guest

    Sometimes it can be as simple as a missing quote such as:

    ...width="100%>

    Best regards,
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com

    Bullschmidt, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Re: JScript runtime error '800a138f' 'undefined' is null or not an

    They are both Windows 2000 Advanced Server with service pack 4 and identical
    patches installed, both on Dell PowerEdge servers. I don't know for certain
    what their other customers are running.. presumably W2K since I was told
    during one of our conference calls that 2003 wasn't supported yet, and on any
    number of possible hardware combinations.

    Dan Roberts @ Kent State, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Dan Roberts @ Kent State

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Re: JScript runtime error '800a138f' 'undefined' is null or not an

    You probably have a null value in one of the columns in the database for
    that installation. Perhaps the ? syntax treats null values differently than
    the if/else syntax.

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jul 6, 2005
  6. Re: JScript runtime error '800a138f' 'undefined' is null or not an

    Thanks Mark, the database call is returning valid results.. but I'll have to
    follow up on your comment about the ? operator with some testing. Not sure
    why that didn't occur to me.

    Something else we've discovered is that regular expressions are not working
    at all on the problem server. I isolated the code from the RemoveHTML
    function into its own ASP page and it consistantly returns null when I pass
    it a value.

    Any idea why regex would not be working on this server?

    Dan Roberts @ Kent State, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Dan Roberts @ Kent State

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Re: JScript runtime error '800a138f' 'undefined' is null or not an

    What happens if you remove the "on error resume next"?

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jul 6, 2005