Just back from Rubyconf '04

Tim Hunter

I'm just back from the Ruby Conference and I have to give a big (usenet)
hand to David and Chad for putting on a great conference! It was my first
RubyConf and it was truly an enlightening and fulfilling experience. I
really enjoyed the opportunity to see and meet some of the folks I've
previously only known from their posts on c.l.r. I also enjoyed listening
and talking to other Ruby enthusiasts.

Of all the presentations I'd like to mention these: first, Koichi Sasda's
presentation on YARV (Yet Another Ruby VM). I really want to see this in
Ruby 2.0, and Koichi seemed like the guy to pull it off. I also appreciated
his sense of humor and contagious enthusiasm. Rich Kilmer's presentation
about Alph gave me some good ideas, not to mention he's a charming and
entertaining presenter. Everybody will be talking about David Heinmeier
Hanson's presentation on Rails. If Rails turns out to be Ruby's first
"killer app" I think that David's evangelistic energy will be a good part
of the reason.

The conference facilities were generally very good. My room was clean and
quiet and (except for Friday morning) supplied a hot shower. Those
attendees who had the "meal plan" got 3 "continental' breakfasts, 3
lunches, and a dinner. The only problem I noted was the cramped seating.
Since most folks brought a laptop (and one or two guys brought enough
equipment with them to start a small Houston Space Center!) If the tables
had been set up with 1 fewer chairs per table I'd have felt much more
comfortable. I'd also have appreciated a list of attendees' names and email
addresses, something I've received at other conferences.

I hope I can make it to the '05 conference. Again, Chad, David and all the
presenters deserve a huge round of applause for all the work they put in.
Thanks guys!

David Heinemeier Hansson

I hope I can make it to the '05 conference. Again, Chad, David and all
the
presenters deserve a huge round of applause for all the work they put
in.
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the kind words, Hunter.

I'd also like to chime in with my deep appreciation of all the work
that was done by the super-team of organizers, the engageing
presenters, and all the attendees.

I meet so many cool people and had so many inspirational talks that my
head is still buzzing. I can't wait to implement more of the ideas that
flowed through the room in the fantastic three days.

In the Rails world, the conference had directly working code produced
on these fronts:

* An OLE-based Microsoft SQL Server adapter by a J2EE veteran that had
just started to look at Ruby (on Rails). I apologies for forgetting the
name :(.

* An updated SQLite adapter by the ever producing Jamis Buck that'll
work with both the 1.x and 2.x series of his SQLite-ruby database
bindings.

* An alternative to the ERb-based view format in Action View based on
Jim Weirich's really cool Builder project. Which mean you can program a
view instead of marking it up (and you'll be able to mix and match, so
using a programmed view for RSS while still using ERb for regular HTML
for example).

...in addition to that, I had some talks with Eric Saul about
implementing Web Services support in Rails. We'll see how that works
out. But the working stuff should all be to find in the next version of
Rails that'll be coming out fairly shortly.

Thanks again to everyone at the conference. I can't wait to redo it all
again next year.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyonrails.org/ -- Web-application framework for Ruby

gabriele renzi

David Heinemeier Hansson ha scritto:

Thanks again to everyone at the conference. I can't wait to redo it all
again next year.

well, divert you airplane to munich for EuRuKo ;)

Joey Gibson

David said:
* An OLE-based Microsoft SQL Server adapter by a J2EE veteran that had
just started to look at Ruby (on Rails). I apologies for forgetting
the name :(.

That would be me, Joey Gibson. No problem on forgetting my name. You
were in high demand all weekend... Anyway, the adapter is almost
finished. I will try to get it done today, but I can't guarantee that.
It will most certainly be done before the end of the week.

--
She drove a Plymouth Satellite
Faster than the Speed of Light...

http://www.joeygibson.com/blog
http://www.joeygibson.com/blog/life/Wisdom.html
Atlanta Ruby User Group http://www.AtlRUG.org

David A. Black

Hi --

I'm just back from the Ruby Conference and I have to give a big (usenet)
hand to David and Chad for putting on a great conference! It was my first
RubyConf and it was truly an enlightening and fulfilling experience. I
really enjoyed the opportunity to see and meet some of the folks I've
previously only known from their posts on c.l.r. I also enjoyed listening
and talking to other Ruby enthusiasts.

You are most welcome :) We always like doing it, and it's so
rewarding to see it all come together.
The conference facilities were generally very good. My room was clean and
quiet and (except for Friday morning) supplied a hot shower. Those
attendees who had the "meal plan" got 3 "continental' breakfasts, 3
lunches, and a dinner. The only problem I noted was the cramped seating.

Victims of our own success :) It was a bit crowded. It's always
hard to have exact numbers at the time we contract for the rooms
(actually we had someone register on Friday morning!), but we'll try
to cast a generous net.

Thanks, to you and everyone, for coming -- see you next time :)

David