Seeking sponsors to fly me to RubyConf

Eleanor McHugh

UK-based full-time open source developer =
(http://golightly.games-with-brains.net) on a very restricted budget is =
booked to speak at RubyConf about this: =
http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/34. Urgent assistance sought with =
travel expenses and accommodation or I'll likely miss the gig of my =
life.

So here's the deal.

I'm looking for a company or two willing to fly me from the UK and back =
for RubyConf and find me somewhere to sleep whilst I'm in New Orleans.

The payoff?

You'll get your logo and a "sponsored by" on the front page of the =
presentation, both at the conference and everywhere I publish the slides =
online, along with a thank you in my project docs and on the project =
wiki.

That's right. Your company name associated with a delicious slab of =
deep-geek code-fest at the premiere Ruby conference of the =
English-Speaking world, along with proof of your commitment to =
innovative open source development.

And that's not all: you'll also get full credit as the Very First =
Sponsors of GoLightly, the open-source next-generation virtual machine =
toolkit designed specifically for modern concurrent hardware and =
heterogeneous environments. Imagine how sexy your company will look five =
years from now when GoLightly is the Application Virtualisation =
technology of choice for the discerning hacker :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel

Rick DeNatale

UK-based full-time open source developer (http://golightly.games-with-bra=
ins.net) on a very restricted budget is booked to speak at RubyConf about t=
his: http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/34. Urgent assistance sought wit=
h travel expenses and accommodation or I'll likely miss the gig of my life.
Ellie,

I wish I could offer you more than my best wishes for this. I need to
get there myself http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/39 and I'm
using up frequent flyer points.

I was excited when I saw you on the program and I'm looking forward to
meeting you in person.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

Eleanor McHugh

(http://golightly.games-with-brains.net) on a very restricted budget is =
booked to speak at RubyConf about this: =
http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/34. Urgent assistance sought with =
travel expenses and accommodation or I'll likely miss the gig of my =
life.
=20
Ellie,
=20
I wish I could offer you more than my best wishes for this. I need to
get there myself http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/39

Should be a very interesting session - hopefully full of insights I can =
steal for GoLightly before I make a hash of its object support.
and I'm using up frequent flyer points.

I know that feeling all too well. The last of my travel budget for the =
year's going on Strange Loop next month, which is my first serious =
chance to talk about the stuff I'm currently working, and then aside =
from RubyConf I'm also hoping to get to Conferencia Rails in Madrid.

I've decided God will provide, whether he likes it or not! Although it =
looks like he'll probably need a helping hand from me lol

It makes me realise how much I used to take travel for granted when I =
was a productive member of the community and not some despicable =
ramen-eating, twitter-stalking hacker :)
I was excited when I saw you on the program and I'm looking forward to
meeting you in person.

Does seem a bit mad that we've been chatting here for five years or so =
and not met offline. Clearly I need to round up the entire US Ruby =
community and repatriate you to London. I'd did briefly consider making =
the move the other way, but it seems like a lot more effort >8o

And I'm sure you'd all get used to our beer and weather eventually ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel

Roger Pack

So here's the deal.
I'm looking for a company or two willing to fly me from the UK and back
for RubyConf and find me somewhere to sleep whilst I'm in New Orleans.

start a pledgie?
-r

Eleanor McHugh

=20
Looks like that might be the way to go. Well, either that or bank =
robbery lol

Having been prodded a few times about a Pledgie campaign, I've taken the =
hint :)
Anyone who believes RubyConf will be materially improved by having an =
Ellie on the premises can now immanentize my eschaton at:

http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/13596

I'm trying to raise a total of =A3700, =A3500 for the air fare from =
London and another =A3200 to cover hotel and living expenses for the =
four or five days I'll be in New Orleans.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel

Eleanor McHugh

Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of a number of people here I can =
now afford not only my roundtrip flight from London to New Orleans but =
also all the other costs involved in attending RubyConf.

This is the first time I've ever looked for assistance in this way and =
to be honest I'm still somewhat speechless: the final total raised by my =
pledgie campaign (http://pledgie.com/campaigns/13596) is =A3837 which =
leaves =A3802.31 after deducting paypal fees!

To make good on my offer of recognition I'll be in touch with everyone =
who contributed to see how best that can be achieved. And for those who =
contributed anonymously and don't wish their identity disclosed, I hope =
I can find some other way to repay your kindness in the future.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel