Keep getting this error when trying to use Web Parts in VS2005 Beta 2. Why?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Hearn, May 25, 2005.

  1. David Hearn

    David Hearn Guest

    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
    operation or the server is not responding.

    SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:
    The connection string specifies a local SQL Server Express instance using a
    database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider
    attempted to automatically create the application services database because
    the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following
    configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence
    of the application services database and automatically create the
    application services database:

    1.. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web
    server account must have read and write access to the applications
    directory. This is necessary because the web server account will
    automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
    2.. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server
    account only requires read access to the applications App_Data directory.
    This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to verify that
    the SQL Server Express database already exists within the applications
    App_Data directory. Note that revoking read access on the App_Data directory
    from the web server account will prevent the provider from correctly
    determining if the SQL Server Express database already exists. This will
    cause an error when SQL Server Express attempts to create a duplicate of an
    already existing database.
    3.. SQL Server Express must be installed on the machine.
    4.. If the application services database does not already exist, the SQL
    Server Express service account must have read and write access to the
    applications App_Data directory. This is necessary because the SQL Server
    Express service account will create the application services database.
    5.. The web server account used to connect to SQL Server Express must have
    rights to create a new database.
    1.. When using the local web server(Cassini) installed with Visual
    Studio, the logged-in user needs the dbcreator privilege in the appropriate
    SQL Server Express instance.
    2.. When using IIS, the process account needs the dbcreator privilege in
    the appropriate SQL Server Express instance. Only consider granting a
    process account dbcreator privilege on secure development machines. Do not
    grant the dbcreator privilege on production machines without fully
    investigating and understanding the security ramifications of running a
    production web server with the dbcreator privilege. The process account
    requiring dbcreator privilege varies depending on operating system platform
    and ASP.NET configuration settings:
    a.. For IIS5, and IIS6 running in IIS5 isolation mode, the default web
    server account is the local ASPNET machine account.
    b.. For IIS6 native mode, the default web server account is NETWORK
    SERVICE.
    c.. If application impersonation is enabled, then the application
    impersonation account requires the dbcreator privilege.
    d.. If an explicit account was specified for the web server process
    (either in the <processModel> element for IIS5 and IIS5 isolation mode, or
    the application pool account on IIS6), then the explicit account requires
    the dbcreator privilege.

    David Hearn, May 25, 2005

  2. David Hearn

    Brock Allen Guest

    This is telling you that SqlExpress can't create the database automatically.
    Did you not install SqlExpress when installing VS.NET 2005? You can also
    use SqlServer by running the aspnet_regsql.exe utility to setup another database.
    This then requires you to specify a connection string for your custom database,
    like this:

    http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/data/databases.aspx#connstrings

    Info for aspnet_regsql is here:

    http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/management/tools.aspx#regsql

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, May 25, 2005

  3. David Hearn

    David Hearn Guest

    Thanks Brock! I did install SQLExpress but I don't think it was a clean
    install. There were errors towards the end and for the life of me, I can't
    seem to get it to install without errors. It was just confusing because I
    start getting that error as soon as I add a Web Part Manager and I don't see
    any connection strings or the ability to set one anywhere. I wish there were
    some better tutorials out on it.

    Thanks again!

    David Hearn, May 25, 2005