Profile Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by shapper, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Hello,

    I added some profile properties to my web.config file.

    Then I started to use my profile properties in a page class and I get
    an error:

    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
    When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
    fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
    connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
    Locating Server/Instance Specified)

    SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

    The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance
    using a database location within the applications App_Data directory.
    The provider attempted to automatically create the application services
    database because the provider determined that the database does not
    exist. The following configuration requirements are necessary to
    successfully check for existence of the application services database
    and automatically create the application services database:

    1. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist,
    the web server account must have read and write access to the
    applications directory. This is necessary because the web server
    account will automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not
    already exist.
    2. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web
    server account only requires read and write access to the applications
    App_Data directory. This is necessary because the web server account
    will attempt to verify that the Sql Server Express database already
    exists within the applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access
    on the App_Data directory from the web server account will prevent the
    provider from correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database
    already exists. This will cause an error when the provider attempts to
    create a duplicate of an already existing database. Write access is
    required because the web server accounts credentials are used when
    creating the new database.
    3. Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
    4. The process identity for the web server account must have a local
    user profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a
    local user profile for both machine and domain accounts.

    I am using a Microsoft Access database and Asp.Net 2.0.

    I think the problem is when the system tryies to create the necessary
    tables, in my Microsoft Access database, for profile.

    Could you tell me how to solve this?

    Thanks,

    Miguel

    shapper, Sep 15, 2006

  2. The first step is to go into the web configuration tool and ensure you can
    connect and set stuff up in the database. If you cannot, you probably do not
    have the database set up correctly. If you want to continue to use Access,
    make sure the aplication is set up with an Access provider, not a SQL
    provider. If you copied the web.config bits from another machine, it is
    probably set to use the default sql provider in the config bits.

    If you want to switch to SQL Express, you have a couple of steps. First,
    have the web config tool aim for SQL Server. This will set up the database.

    After that, the next step is to use the SQL Configuration tool and do two
    things:

    1. Add another protocol - SQLExpress ships with native only activated. You
    need another protocol, like TCP/IP for web apps
    2. Turn on SQL Browser - this may not be necessary in all instances, so test
    after step #1 before turning on browser.

    Hopefully this helps no matter which direction you go.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 16, 2006

  3. If you're using Access, you need the Access provider.

    There's code here for that:

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...7-9269-dbf9edbaada8/SampleAccessProviders.vsi

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]