Profile Problem

shapper

Hello,

I added some profile properties to my web.config file.

Then I started to use my profile properties in a page class and I get
an error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
Locating Server/Instance Specified)

SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance
using a database location within the applications App_Data directory.
The provider attempted to automatically create the application services
database because the provider determined that the database does not
exist. The following configuration requirements are necessary to
successfully check for existence of the application services database
and automatically create the application services database:

1. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist,
the web server account must have read and write access to the
applications directory. This is necessary because the web server
account will automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not
already exist.
2. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web
server account only requires read and write access to the applications
App_Data directory. This is necessary because the web server account
will attempt to verify that the Sql Server Express database already
exists within the applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access
on the App_Data directory from the web server account will prevent the
provider from correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database
already exists. This will cause an error when the provider attempts to
create a duplicate of an already existing database. Write access is
required because the web server accounts credentials are used when
creating the new database.
3. Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
4. The process identity for the web server account must have a local
user profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a
local user profile for both machine and domain accounts.

I am using a Microsoft Access database and Asp.Net 2.0.

I think the problem is when the system tryies to create the necessary
tables, in my Microsoft Access database, for profile.

Could you tell me how to solve this?

Thanks,

Miguel

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The first step is to go into the web configuration tool and ensure you can
connect and set stuff up in the database. If you cannot, you probably do not
have the database set up correctly. If you want to continue to use Access,
make sure the aplication is set up with an Access provider, not a SQL
provider. If you copied the web.config bits from another machine, it is
probably set to use the default sql provider in the config bits.

If you want to switch to SQL Express, you have a couple of steps. First,
have the web config tool aim for SQL Server. This will set up the database.

After that, the next step is to use the SQL Configuration tool and do two
things:

1. Add another protocol - SQLExpress ships with native only activated. You
need another protocol, like TCP/IP for web apps
2. Turn on SQL Browser - this may not be necessary in all instances, so test
after step #1 before turning on browser.

Hopefully this helps no matter which direction you go.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!