layers and tables

Barbara de Zoete

Jeffrey Silverman

Are you serious? Please Barbara post a link, and not the joke wanadoo ones.
I am looking for some serious help.

Barb is a bit over-sensitive at times!

Jeffrey Silverman

My advice - learn HTML and CSS the hard way. Use DW in text editing
mode only, type it all in. DOn't use the WYSIWYG "feature" - in fact

In that case, you may as well use notepad! DW doesn't even do syntactic
highlighting, IIRC.

Barbara de Zoete

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tom scribbled in the mud:
Please Barbara post a link, and not the joke wanadoo ones.
I am looking for some serious help.

Barbara, or as she likes to be called Babbs is a bit bitchy about this time
of the month and not very helpful.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tom scribbled in the mud:
Should I layout the image as a large background and position the text
using css - is this the way forward (and please other readers/posters be
positive)

A large image as a background might not be the best idea but css IS the way
to go.

If you have at least a start of your page that you could upload somewhere so
we can see what you're trying to do you might get more helpful answers.

Travis Newbury

Neal said:
Download Crimson Editor and view HTML in it. That's syntactic highlighting.

I am aware of what it is. It has been about a year or so since i
switched to TopStyle, but I seemed to remember DW had both syntactic
highlighting as well as type ahead help. Yep, just looked, it has
customizable syntactic highlighting. And has for several versions

Personally I am a topstyle fan for both HTML and CSS

Neal

Starshine Moonbeam said:
There's something wrong with that?

Well, as explained, Notepad does not syntactically highmight, and
offers no useful web author features. My suggestion of Crimson Editor
does that. There are others as good or better as well.

Henry

Tom said:
I am curious as to why then so many graphics packages, photoshop, fireworks
etc,. have tutorials etc,. on this as a means to generate images into html.

I'm learning here a lot, about css and html.

Let me tell you this. If you want make nice, GFX rich and beautiful
pages, learn BOTH. Css and html with TABLES of course.

Css can get you into full control of tables which are fast, easy and
compatible even with your calculator.

On web I have found only few pure css pages which I like and it took
months to make them look good.

Most pages done in pure css are ugly.

So if you ask for a demos, you are in trouble.

Just look on questions at this NG. How to center a pic or a box or
layout! The simplest thing in tables - in css is a drama.

With Photoshop you can make in 20 minutes great design or even better,
get html template and modify for you needs.

My goal after reading here is to make graphics rich pages, replace
bloody <div> with faithful <table> but for most use css anyway.

As simple as possible without hacks.

The best way for you to learn would be to get some great templates from
here...

www.boxedart.com

.... and learn how to put that stuff properly in tables.

Some templates are great combinations of tables and css, lately.

Slowly learn both and... you will get great results.

This group should be called alt.css because advices you will get here
will be generally... ONLY CSS ARE GREAT!

Cheers...

Neal

Henry said:
Css can get you into full control of tables which are fast, easy and
compatible even with your calculator.

New address, wonderful... Take note, all...

Henry

rf said:
This is a joke, right?

Nope... far from it! These guys are great!

These people are designing mostly wonderful pages and they are to busy
with workload they have, so they don't have a heaps of time posting on
alt.html

Only three persons here made great pages I like. Toby - HEAPS of effort,
Cinnamon page - again great page standing out of heaps of ugly css
pages, and of course SpaceGirl. She is great designer, smart and very
knowledgeable person, using every possible tricks to make web pages
functional and attractive as well.

The rest thinks that way - css only - text only because the Internet
have to be ugly with huge fonts because somebody may need a HUGE text.

Buy glasses or bigger monitor... or... newspaper! ;)

80% of Internet is running on pages designed in a similar way Boxedart
doing.

Since the guy is asking how to put sliced images into tables, IMHO the
best way is to get some templates and learn how to do it!

Since most guys here are unemployed and pure css fanatics, that's the
wrong group for Tom to ask any html question.

Tom was asking for some samples of pages here, he was called an idiot!

Most of ya are stubborn mules supporting each other with a total lack of
any decency and flexibilities.

That's maybe great, because others can make some money.

;)

Barbara de Zoete

Nope... far from it! These guys are great!

These people are designing mostly wonderful pages and they are to busy with
workload they have, so they don't have a heaps of time posting on alt.html

Did you somehow morph?

Oh, never mind. I'll just put you back, right back where you belong.

--
,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

Phoenix

Starshine said:
There's something wrong with that?

Wrong—no. Highly inefficient and impractical—yes. For instance, if you
indent your code, like I do, doing that for each line when you're quite
far into the levels of indentation, is just... not worth the time it
takes. Also, with syntax highlighting, it's so much easier to spot when
you do some silly mistake, like forgetting to close a quote on an
attribute or something, since it makes the whole rest of the code you
type in look weird. Once again, though, notepad isn't exactly... good
for the job.