Layout collapses on anchor

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nico Schuyt, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
    It works quite well in IE6 and Mozilla but layout collapses when an anchor
    is added to the URL. Compare
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm
    with
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm#11973
    In the latter the box with the header doesn't show anymore.

    HTML validates not 100% perfectly due to the <nobr> but nothing seriously
    seems to be wrong.
    CSS (http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/layout.css) is ok in the
    W3C-validator

    Has anyone an explanation?
    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
     
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nico Schuyt

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
    > It works quite well in IE6 and Mozilla but layout collapses when an anchor
    > is added to the URL. Compare
    > http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm
    > with
    > http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm#11973
    > In the latter the box with the header doesn't show anymore.


    Works fine in Opera 7.5x with no collapsing, for what it's worth.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
     
    Toby Inkster, Dec 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >
    >> I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
    >> It works quite well in IE6 and Mozilla but layout collapses when an
    >> anchor is added to the URL. Compare
    >> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm
    >> with
    >> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm#11973
    >> In the latter the box with the header doesn't show anymore.


    > Works fine in Opera 7.5x with no collapsing,

    good to hear :)

    > for what it's worth.

    About 1.07% of the visitors :)

    Forgot to mention: No problem in Mozilla too.
    I can imagine the tric with the frame simulation is difficult for a browser
    and wonder if it is a general problem or something specific in *my* coding.

    Thanks anyway!

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
     
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 6, 2004
    #3
  4. On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:08:44 +0100, Nico Schuyt <> wrote:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>
    >>> I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
    >>> It works quite well in IE6 and Mozilla but layout collapses when an
    >>> anchor is added to the URL. Compare
    >>> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm
    >>> with
    >>> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm#11973
    >>> In the latter the box with the header doesn't show anymore.

    >
    >> Works fine in Opera 7.5x with no collapsing,

    > good to hear :)
    >
    >> for what it's worth.

    > About 1.07% of the visitors :)
    >
    > Forgot to mention: No problem in Mozilla too.
    > I can imagine the tric with the frame simulation is difficult for a
    > browser
    > and wonder if it is a general problem or something specific in *my*
    > coding.
    >


    My experience is that IE needs quirksmode to understand emulating frames.
    I have a couple of pages that do this, as an example. Maybe there is
    something there, that is of help to you:
    <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html>
    <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_verticaal-centreren-content.html>

    There are more, but they all use the same general idea.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>
    Zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html>
     
    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 6, 2004
    #4
  5. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:12:58 +0100, Barbara de Zoete
    <> wrote:

    >>> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
    >>>>
    >>>> <http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm>
    >>>>

    > My experience is that IE needs quirksmode to understand emulating frames.
    >


    Forget what I wrote. You are already doing that.



    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>
    Zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html>
     
    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 6, 2004
    #5
  6. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 6, 2004
    #6
  7. On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:06:54 +0100, Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > HTML validates not 100% perfectly due to the <nobr> but nothing seriously
    > seems to be wrong.


    Then get rid of it. (I realize I am not really answering the question in
    the OP).

    Try "whitespace: nowrap" maybe.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
     
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 6, 2004
    #7
  8. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:06:54 +0100, Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >
    >> HTML validates not 100% perfectly due to the <nobr> but nothing
    >> seriously seems to be wrong.


    > Try "whitespace: nowrap" maybe.


    Or make the table cel a little wider :)

    > (I realize I am not really answering the
    > question in the OP).


    I'm disappointed :-(
    Only solution is probably to build up again the css step by step and see
    where it goes wrong. Sigh ...

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
     
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 6, 2004
    #8
  9. Nico Schuyt

    rf Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm


    Nico, the only way I can get this page to scroll to scroll in firefox is
    with the mouse, using the scroll bar.

    Mousewheel does not work and, most importantly, the keyboard scroll keys do
    not work. Not good from an accessibility point of view :-(

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Dec 7, 2004
    #9
  10. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:


    >> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm


    > Nico, the only way I can get this page to scroll to scroll in firefox
    > is with the mouse, using the scroll bar.


    That surprises me :-( No testing done with the firefox. (Only IE and
    Mozilla). A good moment to download the firefox and see for myself.
    Same problem in http://www.mediaquest.nl/frankvandenberg/ or
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html ?

    > Mousewheel does not work and, most importantly, the keyboard scroll
    > keys do not work. Not good from an accessibility point of view :-(


    Not good indeed.
    The graphical design was made by someone else and intended to be built as a
    combination of frames, javascript and picture buttons. I try to make a
    compromis to comply with the requests of the customer.

    No solution for the anchor problem I presume?

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
     
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 7, 2004
    #10
  11. Nico Schuyt

    rf Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >
    > >> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm

    >
    > > Nico, the only way I can get this page to scroll to scroll in firefox
    > > is with the mouse, using the scroll bar.

    >
    > That surprises me :-( No testing done with the firefox. (Only IE and
    > Mozilla). A good moment to download the firefox and see for myself.
    > Same problem in http://www.mediaquest.nl/frankvandenberg/ or
    > http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html ?


    No. Both are fine in all three browsers.

    > > Mousewheel does not work and, most importantly, the keyboard scroll
    > > keys do not work. Not good from an accessibility point of view :-(

    >
    > Not good indeed.


    FWIW Mozilla exhibits the same problem here. IE6 does not. IE5.5 does not.
    IE5 does.

    Also, with firefox, I see a little vertical movement of the entire
    "frameset" on mousewheel. It's as if the "frameset" is half a dozen pixels
    too high and the whole page is being scrolled, not the div. The number of
    pixels is dependent on the vertical height of the viewport. At about 400
    pixels viewport height the vertical scroll is, like, 100 pixels. At 1200
    high it's about 4 pixels. Odd to say the least :)

    I shall investigate this further if you wish.

    > No solution for the anchor problem I presume?


    I don't *see* your anchor problem. Both pages look exactly the same for me
    on all browsers, except of course the scroll position of that div.

    Which bit is missing? The top "frame" containing the menu and the
    watersportwinkel logo?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Dec 7, 2004
    #11
  12. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 7, 2004
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul W

    Table collapses on Safari

    Paul W, Jul 14, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    356
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gTCBMaW5k?=
    Jul 14, 2005
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    598
    John Timney \(MVP\)
    Jun 19, 2006
  3. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    335
    John McCallum
    Jan 31, 2007
  4. DaveS
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    372
    DaveS
    Mar 24, 2008
  5. Dave
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,194
Loading...

Share This Page