Layout collapses on anchor

Nico Schuyt

I made a frame simulation based on http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
It works quite well in IE6 and Mozilla but layout collapses when an anchor
is added to the URL. Compare
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm
with
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/p_anchor.htm#11973
In the latter the box with the header doesn't show anymore.

HTML validates not 100% perfectly due to the <nobr> but nothing seriously
seems to be wrong.
CSS (http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/watersport/layout.css) is ok in the
W3C-validator

Has anyone an explanation?
Thanks in advance!

Nico Schuyt

Works fine in Opera 7.5x with no collapsing,
good to hear :)
for what it's worth.
About 1.07% of the visitors :)

Forgot to mention: No problem in Mozilla too.
I can imagine the tric with the frame simulation is difficult for a browser
and wonder if it is a general problem or something specific in *my* coding.

Thanks anyway!

Barbara de Zoete

good to hear :)

About 1.07% of the visitors :)

Forgot to mention: No problem in Mozilla too.
I can imagine the tric with the frame simulation is difficult for a
browser
and wonder if it is a general problem or something specific in *my*
coding.

My experience is that IE needs quirksmode to understand emulating frames.
I have a couple of pages that do this, as an example. Maybe there is
something there, that is of help to you:
<http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html>
<http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_verticaal-centreren-content.html>

There are more, but they all use the same general idea.

Jeffrey Silverman

HTML validates not 100% perfectly due to the <nobr> but nothing seriously
seems to be wrong.

Then get rid of it. (I realize I am not really answering the question in
the OP).

Try "whitespace: nowrap" maybe.

Nico Schuyt

Try "whitespace: nowrap" maybe.

Or make the table cel a little wider :)
(I realize I am not really answering the
question in the OP).

I'm disappointed :-(
Only solution is probably to build up again the css step by step and see
where it goes wrong. Sigh ...

Nico Schuyt

rf said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:

Nico, the only way I can get this page to scroll to scroll in firefox
is with the mouse, using the scroll bar.

That surprises me :-( No testing done with the firefox. (Only IE and
Mozilla). A good moment to download the firefox and see for myself.
Same problem in http://www.mediaquest.nl/frankvandenberg/ or
http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html ?
Mousewheel does not work and, most importantly, the keyboard scroll
keys do not work. Not good from an accessibility point of view :-(

Not good indeed.
The graphical design was made by someone else and intended to be built as a
combination of frames, javascript and picture buttons. I try to make a
compromis to comply with the requests of the customer.

No solution for the anchor problem I presume?

rf

Nico said:
That surprises me :-( No testing done with the firefox. (Only IE and
Mozilla). A good moment to download the firefox and see for myself.
Same problem in http://www.mediaquest.nl/frankvandenberg/ or
http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/voorbeelden/voorbeeld_fixeren-kop.html ?

No. Both are fine in all three browsers.
Not good indeed.

FWIW Mozilla exhibits the same problem here. IE6 does not. IE5.5 does not.
IE5 does.

Also, with firefox, I see a little vertical movement of the entire
"frameset" on mousewheel. It's as if the "frameset" is half a dozen pixels
too high and the whole page is being scrolled, not the div. The number of
pixels is dependent on the vertical height of the viewport. At about 400
pixels viewport height the vertical scroll is, like, 100 pixels. At 1200
high it's about 4 pixels. Odd to say the least :)

I shall investigate this further if you wish.
No solution for the anchor problem I presume?

I don't *see* your anchor problem. Both pages look exactly the same for me
on all browsers, except of course the scroll position of that div.

Which bit is missing? The top "frame" containing the menu and the
watersportwinkel logo?

Nico Schuyt

rf said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
I don't *see* your anchor problem.

Aaaaahhhh, I had to make a change for further testing by the customer. That
affected the p_anchor.htm too.
Added the original stylesheet.
My apologizes for the confusion!