Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of this www?

Mary Jane Middleton

Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of this www?

I am a student of HTML & XHTML. I want to build my own www site and
was thinking of using the temples recommended in this site.
http://www.2createawebsite.com/

What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to
register your domain name and a certain company to host your web
site.
I have also read the FAQ's for alt.html, I find them very useful
and the newsgroup as well by just reading it daily.
I have also subscribed to the free course offered by the Host for
about.com. I would also appreciate any comments on this free
course.
If you could address some of these questions, it would be
appreciated. Thank you in advance

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mary Jane Middleton wrote:

Please do not post HTML messages to text-only newsgroups. Plain text
only.
Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of this www?

Which www?
I am a student of HTML & XHTML. I want to build my own www site and
was thinking of using the temples recommended in this site.
http://www.2createawebsite.com/

I might not. Their own page:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.2createawebsite.com/>
"Failed validation, 166 Errors"

...and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

Don't use XHTML.
What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to register
your domain name and a certain company to host your web site.

This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same company
you use for hosting the site.

You might want to check out:
http://htmldog.com/
I have also read the FAQ's for alt.html, I find them very useful and
the newsgroup as well by just reading it daily. I have also
subscribed to the free course offered by the Host for about.com. I
would also appreciate any comments on this free course.

Sorry, I don't have time to take the course...

John Hosking

Beauregard said:
..and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
traditional. ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John said:
You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
traditional. ;-)

I should write a web page and just provide a link, eh!

Sherm Pendley

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same company
you use for hosting the site.

That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind it?

sherm--

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sherm said:
That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind
it?

Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

John

Sherm Pendley said:
That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind it?

sherm--

You have not heard of PIPEX in theUK.
Never register you domain name with the same company you use for hosting the
site.
Why? If you want to move your site and the hosting company act as
registrars they can make life difficult.

Regards
John

Animesh K

Beauregard said:
Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

Ouch. How is godaddy in this regard? I don't mind using their servers
since they are giving good service ATM (for most of my needs). But still
curious.

Best,

Edwin van der Vaart

John said:
You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
traditional. ;-)
lol
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Animesh said:
Ouch. How is godaddy in this regard? I don't mind using their servers
since they are giving good service ATM (for most of my needs). But
still curious.

Godaddy is primarily a registrar, but also does web hosting. I would
think they would be alright, as they are such a big name. I would *not*
attempt it with a small reseller.

I have a couple domains registered at Godaddy, but they are both hosted
elsewhere.

Animesh K

Beauregard said:
Animesh K wrote:
Godaddy is primarily a registrar, but also does web hosting. I would
think they would be alright, as they are such a big name. I would *not*
attempt it with a small reseller.

I have a couple domains registered at Godaddy, but they are both hosted
elsewhere.

Yes primarily they are registrars and they are pretty good at
domain-name related services. Actually, of late, I have found their
PHP/SQL support to be pretty good for my needs (in economy hosting of
$3.5 per month). I am not doing anything fancy though.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

....because they are horrid, mean, selfish, grasping, unfair,
borderline criminal?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
...because they are horrid, mean, selfish, grasping, unfair,
borderline criminal?

What do small businesses do quite often? Riiiight, they go *outta*
business.

If there is nobody left to issue an unlock to your intended new
registrar, what happens to your name? You can't change hosting servers,
you can't renew it...

Dylan Parry

Beauregard said:
If there is nobody left to issue an unlock to your intended new
registrar, what happens to your name? You can't change hosting servers,
you can't renew it...

But you can contact their providers. I recently had problems with a
smaller registrar so contacted the next people up, who happened to be
Melbourne IT a *much* larger company. They told me to fax them some
details showing who I was if I didn't get any luck with the little
people and they'd sort it all out for me.

Failing that, you can also contact the people right at the top, ie. the
domain name authority for whatever the TLD is.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

mrcakey

David Segall said:
The main arguments against it are at
<http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>.
An amusing counter-argument to Hickson's is here
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2007Jun/0008.html>.
The main argument in favour of XHTML is that the World Wide Web
Consortium, the source for HTML scripture, uses it.
<http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Activity.html>.

Thanks for that.

Am I doing something wrong then? I changed the content-type value for the
index page to xml on the site I'm building for my friend and it still works
fine as far as I can see. Even in IE6.

http://www.ladolcevita.org.uk/

+mrcakey