    appreciated. Thank you in advance

    --
    We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com !

    Mary Jane Middleton, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Mary Jane Middleton wrote:

    Please do not post HTML messages to text-only newsgroups. Plain text
    only.

    > Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of this www?

    Which www?

    > I am a student of HTML & XHTML. I want to build my own www site and
    > was thinking of using the temples recommended in this site.
    > http://www.2createawebsite.com/

    I might not. Their own page:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2createawebsite.com%2F>
    "Failed validation, 166 Errors"

    ...and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

    Don't use XHTML.

    > What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to register
    > your domain name and a certain company to host your web site.

    This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same company
    you use for hosting the site.

    You might want to check out:
    http://htmldog.com/

    > I have also read the FAQ's for alt.html, I find them very useful and
    > the newsgroup as well by just reading it daily. I have also
    > subscribed to the free course offered by the Host for about.com. I
    > would also appreciate any comments on this free course.

    Sorry, I don't have time to take the course...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Mary Jane Middleton

    John Hosking Guest

    Re: Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of thiswww?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > ..and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

    You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
    traditional. ;-)

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    John Hosking, Aug 24, 2007
  4. John Hosking wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ..and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

    > You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
    > traditional. ;-)

    I should write a web page and just provide a link, eh!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 24, 2007
  5. Mary Jane Middleton

    mrcakey Guest

    <snip>

    > Don't use XHTML.

    What's up with XHTML?

    +mrcakey

    mrcakey, Aug 24, 2007
  6. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> writes:

    > Mary Jane Middleton wrote:
    >
    >> What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to register
    >> your domain name and a certain company to host your web site.

    > This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same company
    > you use for hosting the site.

    That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind it?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 24, 2007
  7. mrcakey wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Don't use XHTML.

    > What's up with XHTML?

    Scour these groups for the many times it has been discussed.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" writes:
    >> Mary Jane Middleton wrote:
    >>> What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to
    >>> register your domain name and a certain company to host your web
    >>> site.

    >> This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same
    >> company you use for hosting the site.

    > That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind
    > it?

    Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
    you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
    release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 24, 2007
  9. Mary Jane Middleton

    John Guest

    "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> writes:
    >
    >> Mary Jane Middleton wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you think? She is saying to use a certain company to register
    >>> your domain name and a certain company to host your web site.

    >> This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same company
    >> you use for hosting the site.

    > That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind it?
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://wv-www.net
    > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    You have not heard of PIPEX in theUK.
    Never register you domain name with the same company you use for hosting the
    site.
    Why? If you want to move your site and the hosting company act as
    registrars they can make life difficult.

    Regards
    John

    John, Aug 24, 2007
  10. Mary Jane Middleton

    Animesh K Guest

    Re: Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of thiswww?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Sherm Pendley wrote:

    >>> This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same
    >>> company you use for hosting the site.

    >> That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind
    >> it?

    > Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
    > you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
    > release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

    Ouch. How is godaddy in this regard? I don't mind using their servers
    since they are giving good service ATM (for most of my needs). But still
    curious.

    Best,

    Animesh K, Aug 24, 2007
  11. John Hosking wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >

    >> ..and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

    > You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
    > traditional. ;-)

    But then...but...so if...OW! MY HEAD HURTS!

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 24, 2007
  12. mrcakey wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> Don't use XHTML.

    > What's up with XHTML?

    Time.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 24, 2007
  13. Re: Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of thiswww?

    John Hosking wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >

    >> ..and it uses a Traditional doctype. New pages should be Strict. Use:

    > You've pointed out the problem with Transitional so often it's become
    > traditional. ;-)

    lol
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

    Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 24, 2007
  14. Animesh K wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >>> That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind
    >>> it?

    >> Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move
    >> hosting, you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you.
    >> They may not release the name and allow you to re-register
    >> elsewhere...

    > Ouch. How is godaddy in this regard? I don't mind using their servers
    > since they are giving good service ATM (for most of my needs). But
    > still curious.

    Godaddy is primarily a registrar, but also does web hosting. I would
    think they would be alright, as they are such a big name. I would *not*
    attempt it with a small reseller.

    I have a couple domains registered at Godaddy, but they are both hosted
    elsewhere.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2007
  15. Mary Jane Middleton

    Animesh K Guest

    Re: Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of thiswww?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >

    > Godaddy is primarily a registrar, but also does web hosting. I would
    > think they would be alright, as they are such a big name. I would *not*
    > attempt it with a small reseller.
    >
    > I have a couple domains registered at Godaddy, but they are both hosted
    > elsewhere.

    Yes primarily they are registrars and they are pretty good at
    domain-name related services. Actually, of late, I have found their
    PHP/SQL support to be pretty good for my needs (in economy hosting of
    $3.5 per month). I am not doing anything fancy though.

    Animesh K, Aug 25, 2007
  16. Mary Jane Middleton

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <lEEzi.458105$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > >> This is correct. Never register you domain name with the same
    > >> company you use for hosting the site.

    > > That's the first time I've heard that. What's the rationale behind
    > > it?

    > Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move hosting,
    > you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you. They may not
    > release the name and allow you to re-register elsewhere...

    ....because they are horrid, mean, selfish, grasping, unfair,
    borderline criminal?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 25, 2007
  17. dorayme wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Been mentioned in these groups quite often. If you want to move
    >> hosting, you have to update your nameservers. They may not let you.
    >> They may not release the name and allow you to re-register
    >> elsewhere...

    > ...because they are horrid, mean, selfish, grasping, unfair,
    > borderline criminal?

    What do small businesses do quite often? Riiiight, they go *outta*
    business.

    If there is nobody left to issue an unlock to your intended new
    registrar, what happens to your name? You can't change hosting servers,
    you can't renew it...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2007
  18. Mary Jane Middleton

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Re: Learning HTML: building a Web Site: What do you think of thiswww?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > If there is nobody left to issue an unlock to your intended new
    > registrar, what happens to your name? You can't change hosting servers,
    > you can't renew it...

    But you can contact their providers. I recently had problems with a
    smaller registrar so contacted the next people up, who happened to be
    Melbourne IT a *much* larger company. They told me to fax them some
    details showing who I was if I didn't get any luck with the little
    people and they'd sort it all out for me.

    Failing that, you can also contact the people right at the top, ie. the
    domain name authority for whatever the TLD is.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

    Dylan Parry, Aug 25, 2007
  19. Mary Jane Middleton

    David Segall Guest

    "mrcakey" <> wrote:

    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> Don't use XHTML.
    >>

    >What's up with XHTML?

    The main arguments against it are at
    <http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>.
    An amusing counter-argument to Hickson's is here
    <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2007Jun/0008.html>.
    The main argument in favour of XHTML is that the World Wide Web
    Consortium, the source for HTML scripture, uses it.
    <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Activity.html>.

    David Segall, Aug 25, 2007
  20. Mary Jane Middleton

    mrcakey Guest

    "David Segall" <> wrote in message
    > "mrcakey" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >><snip>
    >>>
    >>> Don't use XHTML.
    >>>

    >>What's up with XHTML?

    > The main arguments against it are at
    > <http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>.
    > An amusing counter-argument to Hickson's is here
    > <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2007Jun/0008.html>.
    > The main argument in favour of XHTML is that the World Wide Web
    > Consortium, the source for HTML scripture, uses it.
    > <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Activity.html>.

    Thanks for that.

    Am I doing something wrong then? I changed the content-type value for the
    index page to xml on the site I'm building for my friend and it still works
    fine as far as I can see. Even in IE6.

    http://www.ladolcevita.org.uk/

    +mrcakey

    mrcakey, Aug 25, 2007