Link Within a Page

mjones

Hi All,

I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
FireFox update caused the problem.

Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

<A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
<A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Denis McMahon

Hi All,

I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic FireFox
update caused the problem.

Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

<A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
<A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

Here is the web page it is used on ....
http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

Your main web page is fine, but your iframe contents don't validate at
w3c. I suggest you fix that.

You're linking to a document inside an iframe, a quick google suggests
that you may need to specify the document url as well as the link name.

eg if you load jim.htm into an iframe, then named links to jim.htm may
need to be href="jim.htm#link_name".

This may even apply to links within the same iframe. I don't know, I
don't use iframes.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

mjones

Your main web page is fine, but your iframe contents don't validate at
w3c. I suggest you fix that.

You're linking to a document inside an iframe, a quick google suggests
that you may need to specify the document url as well as the link name.

eg if you load jim.htm into an iframe, then named links to jim.htm may
need to be href="jim.htm#link_name".

This may even apply to links within the same iframe. I don't know, I
don't use iframes.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Hi Denis,

I tried putting the webpage before the link name, e.g. <a
href="comparison.asp#pmbok">, and although it continues to work in IE,
no luck in FireFox.

Never the less, I thank you for your suggestion. Any other ideas
would certainly be appreciated.

All the best,

Michele

Jukka K. Korpela

I tried putting the webpage before the link name, e.g.<a
href="comparison.asp#pmbok">, and although it continues to work in IE,
no luck in FireFox.

You didn't validate the code inside the iframe (yet you show the
worse-than-useless validity icon).

But although the markup errors should be fixed, it is highly unlikely
that they are the cause of the problem. The problem appears on Firefox
4, too, by the way. And it only occurs when the iframing page is used -
on the iframed page http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
the links work.

If I disable JavaScript on your page
http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/comparison.asp
then there's nothing to be seen - the entire content is missing. Does
this ring a bell?

The problem seems to be in the JavaScript code, which is rather messy.

mjones

If I disable JavaScript on your pagehttp://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/comparison.asp
then there's nothing to be seen - the entire content is missing. Does
this ring a bell?

The problem seems to be in the JavaScript code, which is rather messy.

Hi Yucca,

Oh dear, then I'm in a mess. I can do the html coding, but the person
who did the JavaScript code is long gone and I don't know JavaScript.
Interesting, you say the JavaScript is messy and I thought he was
quite a good programmer. Hum.

I guess I'll have to remove the dead links and do without. It's
interesting that they work outside of the iframe.

Thank you very much for your help,

Michele

P.S. - The website iframe code has been there for five years. It did
work well at one time, but with changes to browser versions, I imagine
it is out of date.

richard

Hi All,

I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
FireFox update caused the problem.

Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

<A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
<A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

It is an improper use of an iframe.
An iframe is used to include an external page.

Change your <iframe> tag to a <td> tag and you should be fine.

richard

Have you seen what happens when the text size on this page is increased?

Set the text size to a very large size. Scroll up and down. Then select item
16. Scroll up and down again. Then set text size back to normal.

MG

It is not my responsibility to code to make the page look proper under all
possible conditions, specially when the user is deliberately trying to
abuse it.

I'm sure as hell not gonna code for the thousands of possible screen sizes,
font sizes, or what have you.
I'm not gonna code for the dozens of various browsers either.

Ray_Net

(e-mail address removed)>, michele@quality-
computing.com says...
Hi All,

I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
FireFox update caused the problem.

Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

<A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
<A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

This one is working ok:
http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
NOT your page http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

mjones

(e-mail address removed)>, michele@quality-
computing.com says...

This one is working ok:
 http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
NOT your pagehttp://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll try the suggestions, but
will need to be careful that it doesn't affect something else by
testing many pages and entries to the pages from different ways.

Cheers!

Michele

P.S. - I cannot ensure all browser types and font sizes either.
Budget just doesn't allow. If quality is important enough to provide
the budget to check the many user situations, I can understand doing
it.

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700 (PDT), mjones wrote:

It is an improper use of an iframe.
An iframe is used to include an external page.

Change your<iframe> tag to a<td> tag and you should be fine.

The "properness" of using an iframe can be debatable, but your
suggestion is flatly incorrect.

To OP since your iframe source anchors do work when not framed, the
problem is most likely in the obsolete, arcane, and mostly likely
unnecessary JavaScript in the framing page.

Denis McMahon

I guess I'll have to remove the dead links and do without. It's
interesting that they work outside of the iframe.

I vaguely remember an older version of this problem where, I think, if I
recall correctly, some browsers were treating the iframe in the main page
as the jump destination for any link that went into the contained page.

I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be better to
include the sub page content at the html level rather than display them
in an iframe.

However, I know so little about asp that I'm not the one to give advice
on fixing it.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Neil Gould

Denis said:
I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be
better to include the sub page content at the html level rather than
display them in an iframe.
I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is server-side
and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error in the code, I
don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp without seeing the
source code.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is server-side
and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error in the code, I
don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp without seeing the
source code.

I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this case,
why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the include directly
with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without seeing the code and
regardless of the server-side used.

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this
case, why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the include
directly with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without seeing the
code and regardless of the server-side used.
I think that would depend on the content of the include. If the content is
dynamic (think video), presenting it as static HTML would be rather
pointless.

richard

The "properness" of using an iframe can be debatable, but your
suggestion is flatly incorrect.

To OP since your iframe source anchors do work when not framed, the
problem is most likely in the obsolete, arcane, and mostly likely
unnecessary JavaScript in the framing page.

An "inline frame" serves the purpose of being able to include an external
page when standard frames are not needed.
It's use is certainly not meant to be a seperator like <td> <div> or even
In this case, there certainly is no need for an "iframe" at all.

I think most of his problems arise from the fact that he is using ASP where
there is no asp at all. He should just simply change it to html.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
I think that would depend on the content of the include. If the content is
dynamic (think video), presenting it as static HTML would be rather
pointless.

No it is not. If you are already using server-side scripting, document
assembly is far more stable and easier to manage and it transparent to
the browser so you do not have to rely on browser support and JavaScript
that that can be out of the designer's control...

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
No it is not. If you are already using server-side scripting, document
assembly is far more stable and easier to manage and it transparent to
the browser so you do not have to rely on browser support and
JavaScript that that can be out of the designer's control...
Your reply does not address the issue of dynamic content in an iFrame,
unless you truly believe that it presenting dynamic content as static is a
good idea. But, to your comment, one still has to "rely on browser support",
because in this case the output of the server-side code is HTML to be
rendered by a browser.

Denis McMahon

I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error
in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp
without seeing the source code.

I'm talking about the methodology of including the body content in an
iframe that's specified in javascript that's presumably generated by asp

I can see from the client side and the main page source that a get
request with the subpage as a parameter generates a page that contains
javascript to set the iframe content to the subpage.

This seems a very convoluted way of doing it. It would be better for the
asp to just load the body content in the page.

If the body content is also required as a separately loadable page, then
make a separate page that pulls in the same body content.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Gould"
I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error
in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the
asp without seeing the source code.

I think what Denis what talking about is the use of iframes instead of
includes, which is, IMHO, screwy.