    and letting people download it after the game, although I do plan to archive
    the commentries as well.

    Cheers everyone

    Paul Macdonald, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Paul Macdonald

    Headless Guest

    Paul Macdonald wrote:

    >I am interested in streaming live audio from my website. Nothing illegal,
    >its American Football game commentary.

    Your own commentary I hope?

    >I had originally approached the Radio Broadcasting Authority here in the UK
    >to transmit by radio to the local area, but as with most things in the UK it
    >has been made prohibitively expensive. So my next thought was to stream the
    >broadcasts over the net, and therefore not be restricted by radio broadcast
    >distances.
    >
    >I need to know basics for now, what am i going to need on my website to be
    >able to do this, any programs, any special code?

    A web hosting account with access to a streaming media server, or
    (better) rent a server on which you can install your own streaming
    server software such as Nullsoft's Shoutcast or Xiph's Icecast.
    Installing your own software is normally only allowed on a non shared
    server.

    >I dont really want to
    >restrict who can listen so would possibly be looking at getting it over
    >Windoze Media Player?

    Choose an accessible media format, leave the choice of media player to
    the user.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Paul Macdonald

    Jim Sheard Guest

    In article <99Z6b.179$>,
    says...

    > I am interested in streaming live audio from my website. Nothing illegal,
    > its American Football game commentary.

    <snip>

    > It MUST be live audio streaming rather than me saving a file to the website
    > and letting people download it after the game, although I do plan to archive
    > the commentries as well.

    As you probably know, the 'live commentary' aspect means you're tackling
    two things here: encoding on-the-fly and streaming from/via a proper
    streaming server.

    Take a look at http://www.playstream.com/ to get an idea of the formats
    and costs of using an external solution. You could use Helix Producer
    to encode and stream via their servers, if RealMedia is acceptable to
    you.

    Then compare this to using something like Shoutcast.

    Jim

    Jim Sheard, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Paul Macdonald

    peter brugel Guest

    "Paul Macdonald" <> wrote in

    > I am interested in streaming live audio from my website. Nothing
    > illegal, its American Football game commentary.
    >
    > I had originally approached the Radio Broadcasting Authority here in
    > the UK to transmit by radio to the local area, but as with most things
    > in the UK it has been made prohibitively expensive. So my next thought
    > was to stream the broadcasts over the net, and therefore not be
    > restricted by radio broadcast distances.
    >
    > I need to know basics for now, what am i going to need on my website
    > to be able to do this, any programs, any special code? I dont really
    > want to restrict who can listen so would possibly be looking at
    > getting it over Windoze Media Player?
    >
    > Would really appreciate advice from anyone who has done this or
    > anything similar.
    >
    > It MUST be live audio streaming rather than me saving a file to the
    > website and letting people download it after the game, although I do
    > plan to archive the commentries as well.

    Streaming "live" is no small trick, but if you actually buffer it to disk
    you can stream from the file as you write to it "tailing" it as you go. The
    advantage of this is that the technology is easier and you get free
    archiving on top of this. A user who comes in late can start at the
    beginning and play in realtime or snap forward or they can listen the next
    day. Even if your intent is to ONLY play live, the easiest path is to
    stream to disk,

    peter brugel, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Streaming to disk sounds interesting, can you give me a little more
    information on it please?

    How do you stream to HD, upload to webspace and stream out all in one?

    Cheers

    Paul Macdonald, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Paul Macdonald

    peter brugel Guest

    "Paul Macdonald" <> wrote in

    > Streaming to disk sounds interesting, can you give me a little more
    > information on it please?
    >
    > How do you stream to HD, upload to webspace and stream out all in one?
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > "peter brugel" <> wrote in message
    >> "Paul Macdonald" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I am interested in streaming live audio from my website. Nothing
    >> > illegal, its American Football game commentary.
    >> >
    >> > I had originally approached the Radio Broadcasting Authority here
    >> > in the UK to transmit by radio to the local area, but as with most
    >> > things in the UK it has been made prohibitively expensive. So my
    >> > next thought was to stream the broadcasts over the net, and
    >> > therefore not be restricted by radio broadcast distances.
    >> >
    >> > I need to know basics for now, what am i going to need on my
    >> > website to be able to do this, any programs, any special code? I

    I can't find your original question to remember the exact context, but if
    memory serves, you would write the stream to disk in blocks and then your
    broadcast would just "tail"the file as it grows. If you broadcast
    starting perhaps 15-30 seconds after source start you would be able to
    handle all sorts of staggers in the input side.. Keep in mind that you
    would have to make sure that your flush your disk writes out in order
    for the second process to read it.

    peter brugel, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Paul Macdonald

    Steven Kidd Guest

    Contact me if interested in Cheap Helix Universal Server
    Standard/Enterprise/Internet.

    Steven

    Steven Kidd, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Paul Macdonald

    Steven Kidd Guest

    If you are interested in RealNetwork's Helix Universal Server,
    I can offer in A FEW hundred bucks.
    Standard/Enterprise/Internet Versions avaliable.
    For Win32/Linux/FreeBSD.

    Please contact me for more details,
    Email:

    Steven

    Steven Kidd, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Paul Macdonald

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > If you are interested in RealNetwork's Helix Universal Server,
    > I can offer in A FEW hundred bucks.
    > Standard/Enterprise/Internet Versions avaliable.
    > For Win32/Linux/FreeBSD.
    > Please contact me for more details,
    > Email:
    > Steven

    Everything you need to stream live video or audio on the web is
    available free from one source or the other. (Mostly free from that evil
    Microsoft)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com