Locating assemblies in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hilton, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Hilton

    Hilton Guest

    An ASPX page in a virtual directory does not find the
    compiled assembly containing the base class located in
    the application's bin directory correctly.

    Example:
    1) Create project WebTest (http://localhost/webtest)

    2) Create simple WebForm1.aspx that contains "Hello
    World" and inherits from WebTest.WebForm1

    3) Compile and then test by navigating to
    http://localhost/webtest/webform1.aspx - form appears as
    expected

    4) Now create a directory elsewhere on the filesystem (I
    used d:\temp\wt) and map a virtual directory from
    http://localhost/webtest/wt to this location.

    5) Move the WebForm1.aspx file into the directory that
    the virtual directory is mapped to

    6) Test by navigating to
    http://localhost/webtest/wt/webform1.aspx - receives
    error "Could not load type 'WebTest.WebForm1'"

    Why does this not look in the
    http://localhost/webtest/bin directory for the DLL??

    Why does IIS treat a virtual directory differently to a
    physical directory? (it works if wt is a physical
    directory under the application)

    I have tried messing with probing and codebases to no
    effect.

    I've tested this on XP and W2K Server with the same
    results.

    Thanks,

    Hilton

    Hilton, Jul 22, 2003