login page stays on login page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shannon, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    I am trying to publish an application to a server that I do not have desktop
    access to because of our hosting environment. I publish to a file share.
    The WEB site has been configured by the hosts personnel.

    When I deploy to my localhost or dev server everything work like it should,
    Entering a valid user name and password redirectos me to the appropriate
    page. When I publish to the staging server and try to login, the login page
    just redisplays itself when I try to log in with valid credentials. If I
    login with incorrect credentails, I get the invalid credentials message,
    which leads me to believe that I am accesses the DB ok.

    The loginpage.cs has no code in it and the aspx code looks like:

    <asp:Login ID="EdbLogin" runat="server" SkinID="LoginView"
    DisplayRememberMe="False"
    Style="text-align: left" OnLoggedIn="EdbLogin_LoggedIn"
    DestinationPageUrl="~/norole.aspx">
    </asp:Login>

    The norole.aspx page has logic to redirect the application based on the
    user's role.

    I have tried to replicate the problem on one of the servers that I have
    access to and have not been able to replicate the error.

    Does someone know if this is a configuration issue and what I might be able
    to tell the host personnel to fix this?

    Thanks Shannon
    Shannon, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Hi:
    The symptoms you suggest lead me to believe that you are probably running
    into a cookies issue (browser security? domain misconfiguration on your
    production server), due to environmental setup.

    The way to confirm would be to use a HTTP sniffer like
    http://www.iewatch.com or if you are using Firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3829 to examine the http
    traffic between your browser and your web server.

    It seems your web server is redirecting your browser back to the web page
    (even on successful login). If that is true you should see the HTTP status
    302 response from your webserver. In that request examine which page is
    issuing the 302. In addition examine the response headers and verify that
    you are indeed receiving the ASP.NET forms authentication cookie on
    successful authentication from the webserver. In addition confirm that the
    cookie is round-tripping properly between the web server and the browser by
    examining the request and response headers for subsequent requests.

    My gut is that this has nothing to do with the login control flag(s).
    Even if I'm wrong on that, examining and comparing the HTTP headers between
    your production and dev environment is likely to give you insights into the
    root cause of the problem.

    Cheers,
    -Naraen
    http://naraen.spaces.live.com

    Naraendirakumar R.R., Jan 9, 2008

  3. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Thank you for your reply.

    When I talked about your reply to someone at the hosting site, they
    remebered the there is a Helcion ISAPI filter that is rewriting the URL. I
    have some research to do to find out what that means.

    They set up a site that does not use that filter and it works perfectly!

    Thanks Again.

    Shannon, Jan 9, 2008