Long running web service call ends with ThreadAbortException

Mads Nielsen

Hi,

I get a ThreadAbortException when clients call a long running operation of
one of my web services.

I am unable to determine the cause of this.

The web service method compiles C# code in a SQL Server database to DLL
files, and runs for about 1-2 minutes before the exception occurs.

Any help on how to avoid the exception would be most welcome.

Best Regards,
Mads Nielsen

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mads,

From your description, I understand you often get "ThreadAbortException" in
your .NET client app which calls some long-run server-side webservice,
correct?

Based on my experience, such problem is likely caused by the server-side
service method exceed the runtime execution timeout scope. If you can
reach and adjust the server-side service, I suggest you try enlarge the
"executionTimeout" in <httpRuntime> setting to see whether it helps:

#httpRuntime Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641.aspx

Here is a former thread that also discussing on this:

#ThreadAbortException & executionTimeout

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

Mads Nielsen

Thanks for replying; unfortunately your solution does not alleviate the
problem. I have tried using the ExecutionTimeout attribute before during my
search for a solution, but tried once more, after reading your reply, just to
be sure, and I still get the ThreadAbortException.

I have tried to do remote debugging of the web service in order to find the
part where it breaks down, but (sadly) the problem goes away while doing so.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Mads,

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, the httpruntime executionTimeout is a common
issue. As you said enlarge the timeout not work, have you verified that the
server webservice's <compilation debug ...> as been set to "false"(the
executionTimeout setting is ignored under debug mode)

Also, whether some other code in the service call that will raise timeout
errror? You can try creating a simplified webservice method(which just use
Thread.Sleep to simulate a long run task) and call it in client to see
whether it will result to the same error behavior.

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFkcyBOaWVsc2Vu?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Long running web service call ends with ThreadAbortException
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:11:00 -0800

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mads,

Have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can
help, welcome to post here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:13:01 GMT