Looking for vernacular

Todd

Hello,

Previously, when looking for information on a topic on this forum, I
had the wrong vernacular for searching the web for answers.
Obviously, that hindered my finding a solution. So, this time I
thought that I would ask for the vernacular first so that I could
search for the solution prior to asking for one.

I would like to create a GUI element wherein sub-sections of the
element have different colors. For example, a number line like object
where the ranges 2-5, 10-34, and 50-70 are highlighted/colored, but
the background color stays the same. (I somewhat envision a progress
bar with multiple shuttles). Is there a name for this kind of
construct? I have tried combinations of "multiple range", "progress
bar", "jprogressbar", and more, with unsatisfactory results.

Thanks,
Todd

John B. Matthews

Todd said:
Previously, when looking for information on a topic on this forum, I
had the wrong vernacular for searching the web for answers.
Obviously, that hindered my finding a solution. So, this time I
thought that I would ask for the vernacular first so that I could
search for the solution prior to asking for one.

I would like to create a GUI element wherein sub-sections of the
element have different colors. For example, a number line like object
where the ranges 2-5, 10-34, and 50-70 are highlighted/colored, but
the background color stays the same. (I somewhat envision a progress
bar with multiple shuttles). Is there a name for this kind of
construct? I have tried combinations of "multiple range", "progress
bar", "jprogressbar", and more, with unsatisfactory results.

Perhaps <http://www.google.com/search?q=java+multislider>?

Roedy Green

I would like to create a GUI element wherein sub-sections of the
element have different colors. For example, a number line like object
where the ranges 2-5, 10-34, and 50-70 are highlighted/colored, but
the background color stays the same.

I have used three approaches to such a beast.

1. mark up the text with HTML and use a JEditorPane. see
http://mindprod.com/products1.html#ESPER

2. work at a low level with drawString on a Canvas or JPanel.
see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#JDISPLAY

3. Use a JTable with a CustomCellRenderer.
see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#VERCHECK
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today.
It is already tomorrow in Australia."
~ Charles Schulz