Looking for Xilinx Spartan 3 Starter Example Serial

mBird

Hi --

I have the Spartan 3 Starter Board. I am trying to find an example for the
Serial RS232.
Something like connecting the serial port to the desktop PC. Something
simple like say I have a clock running on the Spartan 3 and it outputs data
to the serial port at a given baud rate then connect the PC with a terminal
program and read the data -- or have the Spartan 3 set up as a listener and
I send it data via the PC.

Thank you

Hal Murray

You have to write a UART module or use a written one for example the
MiniUART from www.opencores.org.

The transmit side is pretty simple. It's just a 10 bit shift register.
Clock it at the bit rate. First and last bits are start/stop.
Data goes in the middle. Load every N ticks. Make N be more
than 10 if you don't want to transmit at full speed. 16 might be
simple to implement.

Should be a simple hack to do something like send out the switches.
(Put a constant in the high bits to make a printable character.)

mBird

Hi --
Thanks for info.
I am new/hobbiest and would be great to have a simple VHDL example of the
below to study/learn from if you have anything like that around would be
greatly appretiated!