    automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

    Best wishes,

    Gavin

    gavin, Feb 11, 2004

  2. In article <c0e3os$dv2$>, says...
    > I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
    > command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
    > separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
    > automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

    All you can set reliably is the recipient. Anything else is an mal-
    formed URL. Do it with a server-side script.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 11, 2004

    http://php.net/mail

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 11, 2004
  4. gavin

    gavin Guest

    Server side script??? Yikes, that sounds a bit scary for a newbie like me.
    I'll get me coat....... :)

    Gavin

    gavin, Feb 11, 2004
  5. gavin wrote:
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <c0e3os$dv2$>,
    >> says...
    >>> question is can I put automatically have an email sent to a second
    >>> email address as a BCC?

    >> All you can set reliably is the recipient. Anything else is an mal-
    >> formed URL. Do it with a server-side script.

    > Server side script??? Yikes, that sounds a bit scary for a newbie
    > like me. I'll get me coat....... :)

    Relax, ask your host. They should have an example you can plagiarise.

    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Feb 11, 2004
  6. In article <c0e90f$cuj$>, says...
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <c0e3os$dv2$>, says...
    > > > I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
    > > > command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address

    > by
    > > > separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
    > > > automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

    > > All you can set reliably is the recipient. Anything else is an mal-
    > > formed URL. Do it with a server-side script.

    > Server side script??? Yikes, that sounds a bit scary for a newbie like me.
    > I'll get me coat....... :)

    <top-posting action="fixed" />

    You're probably wrong:
    http://php.resourceindex.com/

    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 12, 2004
  7. gavin

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:44:48 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > All you can set reliably is the recipient.

    Depends on your definition of reliably. Mailto: won't ever work for
    anyone without a mail client.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 12, 2004
  8. gavin wrote:

    > I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
    > command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
    > separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
    > automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

    The standards for the "mailto:" URI are specified in RFC 2368:

    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt

    One thing noted there is that multiple addresses must be separated by
    commas, not semicolons as you incorrectly stated.

    A method is provided there to include other parameters, including "bcc",
    if you so wish. However, as others have noted, despite this being
    permitted in the standard, it's not necessarily fully supported in all
    combinations of browsers and e-mail programs; anything beyond a single
    address in a mailto link, with no parameters, is taking a risk of having
    it fail altogether.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Feb 13, 2004
  9. gavin

    gavin Guest

    "Daniel R. Tobias" <> wrote in message
    > gavin wrote:
    >
    > > I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
    > > command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address

    by
    > > separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
    > > automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

    > The standards for the "mailto:" URI are specified in RFC 2368:
    >
    > http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt
    >
    > One thing noted there is that multiple addresses must be separated by
    > commas, not semicolons as you incorrectly stated.

    That's strange - I have used semi colons and it seems to work.

    > A method is provided there to include other parameters, including "bcc",
    > if you so wish. However, as others have noted, despite this being
    > permitted in the standard, it's not necessarily fully supported in all
    > combinations of browsers and e-mail programs; anything beyond a single
    > address in a mailto link, with no parameters, is taking a risk of having
    > it fail altogether.

    Thanks for that. As it seems to be a bit hit and miss I think I am best
    leaving it alone.

    Gavin

    gavin, Feb 13, 2004
  10. gavin wrote:

    > "Daniel R. Tobias" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>One thing noted there is that multiple addresses must be separated by
    >>commas, not semicolons as you incorrectly stated.

    > That's strange - I have used semi colons and it seems to work.

    "Seems to work" in your particular combination of browser and mail
    program is a very different matter from being standards-compliant and
    functional in a broad range of browsers and mail programs. (For
    instance, in Mozilla, commas work correctly but semicolons cause a bogus
    address to be used.)

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Feb 14, 2004