mailto: - BCC?

gavin

I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

Best wishes,

Gavin

Hywel Jenkins

I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

All you can set reliably is the recipient. Anything else is an mal-
formed URL. Do it with a server-side script.

Toby A Inkster

gavin said:
I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

http://php.net/mail

gavin

Server side script??? Yikes, that sounds a bit scary for a newbie like me.
I'll get me coat....... :)

Gavin

William Tasso

gavin said:
Server side script??? Yikes, that sounds a bit scary for a newbie
like me. I'll get me coat....... :)

Relax, ask your host. They should have an example you can plagiarise.

Daniel R. Tobias

gavin said:
I know that I can put an email link on a web page using the "mailto:"
command and I know that I can send the email to a second email address by
separating the addresses with a semi-colon. But my question is can I put
automatically have an email sent to a second email address as a BCC?

The standards for the "mailto:" URI are specified in RFC 2368:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt

One thing noted there is that multiple addresses must be separated by
commas, not semicolons as you incorrectly stated.

A method is provided there to include other parameters, including "bcc",
if you so wish. However, as others have noted, despite this being
permitted in the standard, it's not necessarily fully supported in all
combinations of browsers and e-mail programs; anything beyond a single
address in a mailto link, with no parameters, is taking a risk of having
it fail altogether.

gavin

Daniel R. Tobias said:
The standards for the "mailto:" URI are specified in RFC 2368:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt

One thing noted there is that multiple addresses must be separated by
commas, not semicolons as you incorrectly stated.

That's strange - I have used semi colons and it seems to work.

A method is provided there to include other parameters, including "bcc",
if you so wish. However, as others have noted, despite this being
permitted in the standard, it's not necessarily fully supported in all
combinations of browsers and e-mail programs; anything beyond a single
address in a mailto link, with no parameters, is taking a risk of having
it fail altogether.

Thanks for that. As it seems to be a bit hit and miss I think I am best
leaving it alone.

Gavin

Daniel R. Tobias

gavin said:
That's strange - I have used semi colons and it seems to work.

"Seems to work" in your particular combination of browser and mail
program is a very different matter from being standards-compliant and
functional in a broad range of browsers and mail programs. (For
instance, in Mozilla, commas work correctly but semicolons cause a bogus
address to be used.)