predefined text is message field via the mailto-link

Bas

Hi there,

I know I can define the subject line in my 'mailto-hyperlink', but is
it possible to define a text in the email itself (message field) via
the mailto-link? I would like to create a quick form this way, so
people can answer quickly on a couple of questions.

The link I use now is:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=subjectline

can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?

Adrienne Boswell

Hi there,

I know I can define the subject line in my 'mailto-hyperlink', but is
it possible to define a text in the email itself (message field) via
the mailto-link? I would like to create a quick form this way, so
people can answer quickly on a couple of questions.

The link I use now is:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=subjectline

can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?

Using mailto as a form action is fraught with danger.

1. It depends on the user having an email client. What about people at
an Internet cafe, library, someone else's computer?

2. Some email clients, if there IS an email client, don't understand that
anyway, and just use the (e-mail address removed).

3. People can usually figure out what they want to use as the subject,
and will often change it.

Use a form processing script to send the information, not mailto.

Ed Mullen

Bas said:
Hi there,

I know I can define the subject line in my 'mailto-hyperlink', but is
it possible to define a text in the email itself (message field) via
the mailto-link? I would like to create a quick form this way, so
people can answer quickly on a couple of questions.

The link I use now is:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=subjectline

can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
I love Google. It makes me seem relatively intelligent.

You mean.. oh... you mean this link was not the product of
forensic research on your part ages ago and a good demo of what
is now part of your inner established knowledge. Never mind ...

(I have promised JK not to use smileys for a while. I like the
idea of doing this to see what further hot water I can get into
here).

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
You mean.. oh... you mean this link was not the product of
forensic research on your part ages ago and a good demo of what
is now part of your inner established knowledge. Never mind ...

(I have promised JK not to use smileys for a while. I like the
idea of doing this to see what further hot water I can get into
here).

Nah, took me about 45 seconds to do the search, read the link, copy the
link, and create the reply.

I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
test subjects.

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
test subjects.

I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
for anything at any time.

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
for anything at any time.

Ya know, I really walked right into that one. Sigh. Shoulda know better.

But, hey, I'm a neuro-surgical intern! I'm practicing. Wait, lemme
see, ok. Let's take a patient, deemed by the wise ones here as needing
brain surgery, and we'll subject him to my knife, amateurish as it might be.

Lemme think ... .... nah. We'd kill all the interesting posts that way.
And the pontificators would have no one to abase. Nah, let's just let
everyone have at everyone ... like it is.

I mean, who am I to try to bring any order or civility to this place?

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
test subjects.

That was one of my old hobbies. I drifted away from it -- everyone was
a head case.

Ed Mullen

Dan said:
That's got a number of mistakes in it. For one thing, spaces aren't
permitted in URLs unless escaped as %20, and ampersands shouldn't be
used within HTML documents unless escaped as &. I'm also not sure
%0A is proper for a line break; doesn't the standard require both CR
and LF, as %0D%0A?

I've tested all of those examples and they seem to work. The spaces
included. Is there one the you have tested and has a problem?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Hey! Can I help it if my cranium is too tight?

Don't worry Boji, the first thing anyone does when learning brain
surgery is to make a hole in the head. That will relieve the
pressure on its own. You are going to feel a lot better
immediately Ed starts on you.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:
Please don't grin xhtml style here, there is no advantage over
html 4.01 Strict for it.

It's not XHTML, it's XML, or more specifically NEML (Neredbojias Emotion
Markup Language).

But we don't like CSS 4 here. It's still far too experimental.

dorayme

"Jukka K. Korpela said:
Scripsit dorayme:

It's not XHTML, it's XML, or more specifically NEML (Neredbojias Emotion
Markup Language).

Be that as it may, it has to be served up in such a way that the
grin appears in IE if the widest possible audience is to be
entertained.