    The link I use now is:

    mailto:?subject=subjectline

    can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?
    Bas, Jun 8, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bas <> writing
    in news::

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I know I can define the subject line in my 'mailto-hyperlink', but is
    > it possible to define a text in the email itself (message field) via
    > the mailto-link? I would like to create a quick form this way, so
    > people can answer quickly on a couple of questions.
    >
    > The link I use now is:
    >
    > mailto:?subject=subjectline
    >
    > can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?

    Using mailto as a form action is fraught with danger.

    1. It depends on the user having an email client. What about people at
    an Internet cafe, library, someone else's computer?

    2. Some email clients, if there IS an email client, don't understand that
    anyway, and just use the .

    3. People can usually figure out what they want to use as the subject,
    and will often change it.

    Use a form processing script to send the information, not mailto.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 8, 2007

  3. Bas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 8, 2007
  4. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > > mailto:?subject=subjectline
    > >
    > > can this link be extended to add a predefine text in the messagefield?
    > >

    > http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    Good one Ed.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2007
  5. Bas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    > > Good one Ed.
    > >

    > I love Google. It makes me seem relatively intelligent.

    You mean.. oh... you mean this link was not the product of
    forensic research on your part ages ago and a good demo of what
    is now part of your inner established knowledge. Never mind ...

    (I have promised JK not to use smileys for a while. I like the
    idea of doing this to see what further hot water I can get into
    here).

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Bas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Good one Ed.
    >>>

    >> I love Google. It makes me seem relatively intelligent.

    > You mean.. oh... you mean this link was not the product of
    > forensic research on your part ages ago and a good demo of what
    > is now part of your inner established knowledge. Never mind ...
    >
    > (I have promised JK not to use smileys for a while. I like the
    > idea of doing this to see what further hot water I can get into
    > here).

    Nah, took me about 45 seconds to do the search, read the link, copy the
    link, and create the reply.

    I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    test subjects.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    > Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    > test subjects.

    I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
    for anything at any time.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 9, 2007
  9. Bas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    >> Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    >> test subjects.

    > I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
    > for anything at any time.

    Ya know, I really walked right into that one. Sigh. Shoulda know better.

    But, hey, I'm a neuro-surgical intern! I'm practicing. Wait, lemme
    see, ok. Let's take a patient, deemed by the wise ones here as needing
    brain surgery, and we'll subject him to my knife, amateurish as it might be.

    Lemme think ... .... nah. We'd kill all the interesting posts that way.
    And the pontificators would have no one to abase. Nah, let's just let
    everyone have at everyone ... like it is.

    I mean, who am I to try to bring any order or civility to this place?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 9, 2007
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    > Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    > test subjects.

    That was one of my old hobbies. I drifted away from it -- everyone was
    a head case.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Bas

    Dan Guest

    On Jun 8, 10:41 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    That's got a number of mistakes in it. For one thing, spaces aren't
    permitted in URLs unless escaped as %20, and ampersands shouldn't be
    used within HTML documents unless escaped as &amp;. I'm also not sure
    %0A is proper for a line break; doesn't the standard require both CR
    and LF, as %0D%0A?

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Jun 9, 2007
  12. Bas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 10:41 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >> http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    > That's got a number of mistakes in it. For one thing, spaces aren't
    > permitted in URLs unless escaped as %20, and ampersands shouldn't be
    > used within HTML documents unless escaped as &amp;. I'm also not sure
    > %0A is proper for a line break; doesn't the standard require both CR
    > and LF, as %0D%0A?
    >
    > --
    > Dan

    I've tested all of those examples and they seem to work. The spaces
    included. Is there one the you have tested and has a problem?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Bas

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:39:21 GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

    > dorayme wrote:

    >>> http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    >> Good one Ed.
    >>

    > I love Google. It makes me seem relatively intelligent.

    <grin style="height:big;width:wide;" />

    (Wish I'da thoughta dat...)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Bas

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:42:10 GMT dorayme scribed:

    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    >> Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    >> test subjects.

    > I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
    > for anything at any time.

    Hey! Can I help it if my cranium is too tight?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns994AEDFFC2879nanopandaneredbojias@208.49.80.251>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > <grin style="height:big;width:wide;" />

    Please don't grin xhtml style here, there is no advantage over
    html 4.01 Strict for it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 10, 2007
  16. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns994AEE400B9CFnanopandaneredbojias@208.49.80.251>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:42:10 GMT dorayme scribed:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think my next hobby is going to be brain surgery. Wanna volunteer?
    > >> Whoa! Not that I think you need brain surgery! No! But I will need
    > >> test subjects.

    > > I know of one very good one right at this moment. Boji. He is up
    > > for anything at any time.

    > Hey! Can I help it if my cranium is too tight?

    Don't worry Boji, the first thing anyone does when learning brain
    surgery is to make a hole in the head. That will relieve the
    pressure on its own. You are going to feel a lot better
    immediately Ed starts on you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 10, 2007
  17. Scripsit dorayme:

    >> <grin style="height:big;width:wide;" />

    > Please don't grin xhtml style here, there is no advantage over
    > html 4.01 Strict for it.

    It's not XHTML, it's XML, or more specifically NEML (Neredbojias Emotion
    Markup Language).

    But we don't like CSS 4 here. It's still far too experimental.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 10, 2007
  18. Bas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <HxNai.176108$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    > >> <grin style="height:big;width:wide;" />

    > > Please don't grin xhtml style here, there is no advantage over
    > > html 4.01 Strict for it.

    > It's not XHTML, it's XML, or more specifically NEML (Neredbojias Emotion
    > Markup Language).

    Be that as it may, it has to be served up in such a way that the
    grin appears in IE if the widest possible audience is to be
    entertained.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 10, 2007
  19. Bas

    Roy A. Guest

    On 10 Jun, 04:14, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    > > On Jun 8, 10:41 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > >>http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

    > > That's got a number of mistakes in it. For one thing, spaces aren't
    > > permitted in URLs unless escaped as %20, and ampersands shouldn't be
    > > used within HTML documents unless escaped as &amp;. I'm also not sure
    > > %0A is proper for a line break; doesn't the standard require both CR
    > > and LF, as %0D%0A?

    > > --
    > > Dan

    > I've tested all of those examples and they seem to work. The spaces
    > included. Is there one the you have tested and has a problem?

    Why should we test something we know is wrong?

    2.4.2. When to Escape and Unescape
    2.4.3. Excluded US-ASCII Characters

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
    Roy A., Jun 10, 2007