Makefile.PL requires parameters for Sendmail::Milter

Larry

I am trying to install the module Sendmail::Milter. The Makefile.PL is
unusual in that it requires parameters, namely
"path-to-sendmail-source" and "path-to-sendmail-obj.dir" . I have no
idea what to give it. I'm wondering if this means I need to build
sendmail from source in order to install this module. Any help would
be greatly appreciated!

Andrzej Adam Filip

Larry said:
I am trying to install the module Sendmail::Milter. The Makefile.PL is
unusual in that it requires parameters, namely
"path-to-sendmail-source" and "path-to-sendmail-obj.dir" . I have no
idea what to give it. I'm wondering if this means I need to build
sendmail from source in order to install this module. Any help would
be greatly appreciated!

AFAIR the module uses library included in sendmail distribution.

Install sendmail sources from tarbal or install sendmail source package
for your distribution. The module wants to make sure that library used
is "as provided" by sendmail binaries version you use.

Larry

Andrzej said:
AFAIR the module uses library included in sendmail distribution.

Install sendmail sources from tarbal or install sendmail source package
for your distribution. The module wants to make sure that library used
is "as provided" by sendmail binaries version you use.

Hmmm... sorry to be dense, but...
1) Do I need to build sendmail from source?
2) What are the 2 parameters I need to provide to Makefile.PL

Sisyphus

..
..
Hmmm... sorry to be dense, but...
1) Do I need to build sendmail from source?

Yes - unless you can find a suitable RPM.
2) What are the 2 parameters I need to provide to Makefile.PL

Seems to me that the 'README' that's part of the Sendmail::Milter source
answers both of those questions (and more).

Cheers,
Rob

Larry

Sisyphus said:
.
.

Yes - unless you can find a suitable RPM.

Seems to me that the 'README' that's part of the Sendmail::Milter source
answers both of those questions (and more).

Cheers,
Rob

OK, I looked at the README and it is only slightly less cryptic than
the message that Makefile.PL spits out

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Building Sendmail::Milter
-------------------------

Begin by building sendmail, libmilter, and perl with -Dusethreads.
Next,
perform the following commands:

% perl Makefile.PL ../sendmail ../sendmail/obj.FreeBSD.4.0-RELEASE.i386
% make
% make install

The paths ../sendmail and ../sendmail/obj.FreeBSD.4.0-RELEASE.i386
should point
to the sendmail source tree and the sendmail build directory,
respectively.

This does not answer either question. It does not make clear (at least
to me) whether I have to build sendmail from source myself or if I can
use the sendmail built by my package maintainter. It also does not
clarify what the heck the "sendmail source tree" and the "sendmail
build directory" refer to (respectively!).

<soapbox>
It is actually quite typical of open-source documentation... it takes
you most of the way, then leaves you hanging, much like a former
girlfriend of mine.
</soapbox>

Anyway, I eventually did resort to building sendmail from source
(although I am still not convinced that I really needed to, and I
certainly don't understand why I should have to, just to install this
Perl module, but hey, it's free software, right? Your money cheerfully
refunded if you are not completely satisfied!) but the only way I could
figure out what stupid parameters to give it was by guessing, then
deciphering the error messages for clues. But after all that effort, I
eventually did get it to give up the goods (same with the girlfriend).