    idea what to give it. I'm wondering if this means I need to build
    sendmail from source in order to install this module. Any help would
    be greatly appreciated!
    Larry, Aug 17, 2006

  2. "Larry" <> writes:

    > I am trying to install the module Sendmail::Milter. The Makefile.PL is
    > unusual in that it requires parameters, namely
    > "path-to-sendmail-source" and "path-to-sendmail-obj.dir" . I have no
    > idea what to give it. I'm wondering if this means I need to build
    > sendmail from source in order to install this module. Any help would
    > be greatly appreciated!

    AFAIR the module uses library included in sendmail distribution.

    Install sendmail sources from tarbal or install sendmail source package
    for your distribution. The module wants to make sure that library used
    is "as provided" by sendmail binaries version you use.

    --
    [pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : :
    Andrzej Adam Filip, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
    > "Larry" <> writes:
    >
    > > I am trying to install the module Sendmail::Milter. The Makefile.PL is
    > > unusual in that it requires parameters, namely
    > > "path-to-sendmail-source" and "path-to-sendmail-obj.dir" . I have no
    > > idea what to give it. I'm wondering if this means I need to build
    > > sendmail from source in order to install this module. Any help would
    > > be greatly appreciated!

    > AFAIR the module uses library included in sendmail distribution.
    >
    > Install sendmail sources from tarbal or install sendmail source package
    > for your distribution. The module wants to make sure that library used
    > is "as provided" by sendmail binaries version you use.

    Hmmm... sorry to be dense, but...
    1) Do I need to build sendmail from source?
    2) What are the 2 parameters I need to provide to Makefile.PL
    Larry, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Larry

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..

    > Hmmm... sorry to be dense, but...
    > 1) Do I need to build sendmail from source?

    Yes - unless you can find a suitable RPM.

    > 2) What are the 2 parameters I need to provide to Makefile.PL

    Seems to me that the 'README' that's part of the Sendmail::Milter source
    answers both of those questions (and more).

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Sisyphus wrote:
    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > .
    > .
    > >
    > > Hmmm... sorry to be dense, but...
    > > 1) Do I need to build sendmail from source?

    > Yes - unless you can find a suitable RPM.
    >
    > > 2) What are the 2 parameters I need to provide to Makefile.PL
    > >

    > Seems to me that the 'README' that's part of the Sendmail::Milter source
    > answers both of those questions (and more).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

    OK, I looked at the README and it is only slightly less cryptic than
    the message that Makefile.PL spits out

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    Building Sendmail::Milter
    -------------------------

    Begin by building sendmail, libmilter, and perl with -Dusethreads.
    Next,
    perform the following commands:

    % perl Makefile.PL ../sendmail ../sendmail/obj.FreeBSD.4.0-RELEASE.i386
    % make
    % make install

    The paths ../sendmail and ../sendmail/obj.FreeBSD.4.0-RELEASE.i386
    should point
    to the sendmail source tree and the sendmail build directory,
    respectively.

    This does not answer either question. It does not make clear (at least
    to me) whether I have to build sendmail from source myself or if I can
    use the sendmail built by my package maintainter. It also does not
    clarify what the heck the "sendmail source tree" and the "sendmail
    build directory" refer to (respectively!).

    <soapbox>
    It is actually quite typical of open-source documentation... it takes
    you most of the way, then leaves you hanging, much like a former
    girlfriend of mine.
    </soapbox>

    Anyway, I eventually did resort to building sendmail from source
    (although I am still not convinced that I really needed to, and I
    certainly don't understand why I should have to, just to install this
    Perl module, but hey, it's free software, right? Your money cheerfully
    refunded if you are not completely satisfied!) but the only way I could
    figure out what stupid parameters to give it was by guessing, then
    deciphering the error messages for clues. But after all that effort, I
    eventually did get it to give up the goods (same with the girlfriend).
    Larry, Aug 18, 2006
  6. Larry

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Larry schreef:

    > But after
    > all that effort, I eventually did get it to give up the goods (same
    > with the girlfriend).

    Perl is one of my girlfriends too.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud