makefile shows wrong perl version

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Kari, May 10, 2007.

  1. Kari

    Kari Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to link the DBI module to my perl install on HPUX. This
    box has multiple versions of perl. I am trying to link to a version
    that is not the default version. I set:
    $PATH to new version plus /usr/bin
    $PERL5LIB to new version
    $PERLLIB to new version.

    Inside my script I tried "use 5.8.8". (I have tried different forms
    of use.)

    No luck. When I run the Makefile.PL at the end I get a message that
    says, "I see you're using perl 5.008008..."

    I tried making HelloWorld.pl and having it print $] -- it says
    5.008008, too.

    What environment variable am I missing?

    Thanks for your help,
    Kari

    Kari, May 10, 2007

  2. Kari

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On May 10, 4:32 pm, Kari <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to link the DBI module to my perl install on HPUX. This
    > box has multiple versions of perl. I am trying to link to a version
    > that is not the default version. I set:
    > $PATH to new version plus /usr/bin
    > $PERL5LIB to new version
    > $PERLLIB to new version.
    >
    > Inside my script I tried "use 5.8.8". (I have tried different forms
    > of use.)
    >
    > No luck. When I run the Makefile.PL at the end I get a message that
    > says, "I see you're using perl 5.008008..."
    >
    > I tried making HelloWorld.pl and having it print $] -- it says
    > 5.008008, too.
    >
    > What environment variable am I missing?

    None. It's a concept you're missing. v5.8.8 *IS* 5.008008. Two
    different expansions of the same value.

    See also: perldoc perlvar (the $^V variable), and perldoc -f require

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, May 10, 2007

  3. Kari

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On May 10, 6:16 pm, Paul Lalli <> wrote:

    > None. It's a concept you're missing. v5.8.8 *IS* 5.008008. Two
    > different expansions of the same value.
    >
    > See also: perldoc perlvar (the $^V variable), and perldoc -f require

    Perhaps this output will make that more explicit for you:
    $ /usr/bin/perl -wle'print for sprintf("%vd", $^V), $]'
    5.8.4
    5.008004

    $ /usr/local/bin/perl -wle'print for sprintf("%vd", $^V), $]'
    5.8.5
    5.008005

    C:\>perl -wle"print for sprintf('%vd', $^V), $]"
    5.8.8
    5.008008

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, May 10, 2007