Map Windows from Unix

Martijn Lievaart

I was merely asking for clarification. Your ever so expert, social and
helpful self replied what again?

Well, the answer was just above it, in the part that you snipped. Reading
is also not one of your strong points obviously.
The statement above is 100% true. Of course you'll never believe me...

No I don't. Samba *exports* smb shares.

M4

Chad Hanna

Martijn said:
Well, the answer was just above it, in the part that you snipped. Reading
is also not one of your strong points obviously.

No I don't. Samba *exports* smb shares.

M4

Just to satisfy my own curiousity I checked out the Samba web site -
it's been some years since I needed this - though I was aware of the
smbclient utility distributed with Samba and may even have used it once.
[ObPerl - checking CPAN there seem to be modules to work with both Samba
and SmbClient even authentication ]

Nevertheless on the current Samba web site at
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/SambaIntro.html it does mention "SMB
filesystems on Linux", namely the "smbfs distributed with Samba as a
courtesy" and the developing smbsh SMB shell. Wonder if it works on
FreeBSD?

Thank you for making me look into this again :-/

Martijn Lievaart

No I don't. Samba *exports* smb shares.

Well, to retrace my steps, I didn't know about the smbsh utility, which is
quite new. From the samba website:

] It is run like a Unix shell, but it does some funky fiddling with calls
] to Unix libraries. By intercepting these calls, smbsh can make it look
] as though SMB shares are mounted.

So no real mounting, but makes it appear so.

M4