Mastering Python

Dennis Lee Bieber

It will actually do something: rebind name 'a' to the method lower() of
the string previously binded to 'a'
For future reference, and I hope you don't mind the lesson, the past
tense of "bind" is "bound" (I can't state it as a firm rule, but many
*ind words seem to go *ound: bind, find, wind [as in wrap, not blowing
in the...], grind -> bound, found, wound [not to confuse with an
injury], ground [not to confuse with dirt]... But mind -> minded <G>)

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Michael Bentley

For future reference, and I hope you don't mind the lesson, the past
tense of "bind" is "bound" (I can't state it as a firm rule, but many
*ind words seem to go *ound: bind, find, wind [as in wrap, not blowing
in the...], grind -> bound, found, wound [not to confuse with an
injury], ground [not to confuse with dirt]... But mind -> minded <G>)

blind -> blound # couldn't resist yet another counterexample ;-)

Hendrik van Rooyen

Dennis Lee Bieber a écrit :
err... I knew that, of course.

If one were to apply Dennis' ..ind to ..ound rule in reverse,
then the present tense of the verb "hound"
will be "hind" - bound to be..

English is such a a marvellously logical, consistent language.

For instance, there is a disease of the lungs called phthisis,
which is pronounced something like: "tie-sis"...

Pretty obvious of course, as is the pronounciation of the
name: "Cholmondely"

- Hendrik

Dennis Lee Bieber

English is a blending of multiple languages said:
For instance, there is a disease of the lungs called phthisis,
which is pronounced something like: "tie-sis"...
Looks Greek to me
Pretty obvious of course, as is the pronounciation of the
name: "Cholmondely"
Is that a scottish "Ch" (as in LoCH Lomond), plain hard "Ch" (as in
CHristmas) or a soft "Ch" (as in CHicken)?
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

Hendrik van Rooyen

[email protected]> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
Is that a scottish "Ch" (as in LoCH Lomond), plain hard "Ch" (as in
CHristmas) or a soft "Ch" (as in CHicken)?

It comes out something like "Chum-lee", with the ch like chicken...

(that's what I have heard - but who knows - It may have been
a regional dialect, a case of the blind leading the blind, or
someone pulling the piss..)

- Hendrik

Steve Holden

Hendrik said:
It comes out something like "Chum-lee", with the ch like chicken...

(that's what I have heard - but who knows - It may have been
a regional dialect, a case of the blind leading the blind, or
someone pulling the piss..)
You have been correctly informed. It's one of the least intuitive names
in the English language.

regards
Steve

DarkBlue

Before we get to far away from the original question...
as you have may have noticed you reached one of the best user
groups on the net , where help from the top gurus and best minds in
the python universe is only a question away.
Go for it, you are in good hands.

Db

Hendrik van Rooyen

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
You have been correctly informed. It's one of the least intuitive names
in the English language.

Oh No! - don't tell me there is worse - this is already enough to drive
a saint to drink!

I will have to move to "Hants"...

: - )

- Hendrik

Steve Holden

Hendrik said:
Oh No! - don't tell me there is worse - this is already enough to drive
a saint to drink!

I will have to move to "Hants"...
Speaking of which, here's a limerick To read it you need to know not
only that Hampshire is colloquially know as Hants, but also that
Salisbury's ancient Roman name is Sarum.

There once was a young man of Salisbury
Whose manners were most halisbury-scalisbury
He visited Hampshire
Without any pampshire
Till somebody told him to walisbury.

try-running-a-spell-checker-on-that-ly y'rs - steve

Tim Golden

Steve said:
Speaking of which, here's a limerick To read it you need to know not
only that Hampshire is colloquially know as Hants, but also that
Salisbury's ancient Roman name is Sarum.

There once was a young man of Salisbury
Whose manners were most halisbury-scalisbury
He visited Hampshire
Without any pampshire
Till somebody told him to walisbury.

Not to mention the meaning (or at least existence)
of the phrase harum-scarum and the pronounciation
of Sarum and the possible wordplay inherent in...

.... oh well, you know what I mean!

I had a laugh, anyway. Thanks, Steve.

TJG

Hendrik van Rooyen

Steve Holden said:
Speaking of which, here's a limerick To read it you need to know not
only that Hampshire is colloquially know as Hants, but also that
Salisbury's ancient Roman name is Sarum.

There once was a young man of Salisbury
Whose manners were most halisbury-scalisbury
He visited Hampshire
Without any pampshire
Till somebody told him to walisbury.

try-running-a-spell-checker-on-that-ly y'rs - steve

Nice one! - Thanks Steve

- Hendrik