    2D and 3D graphical presentation please.

    Matplotlib in Python vs. Matlab, which one has much better graphical
    pressentation?

    N/A, May 10, 2006

  2. N/A

    DeepBlue Guest

    anyone?

    DeepBlue, May 11, 2006

  3. Re: Matplotlib in Python vs. Matlab, which one has much better graphical pressentation?

    N/A <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can I have your opinions on Matlab vs. Matplotlib in Python in terms of 2D and
    > 3D graphical presentation please.
    >

    > Matplotlib in Python vs. Matlab, which one has much better graphical
    > pressentation?

    As far as 2D plots are concerned I think matplotlib has been superior for some
    time now, but 3D plot support is only in the making (other options do exist,
    but I haven't tried MayaVi and co).

    However, if you've got a license for matlab anyway, you can also fairly easily
    use it from python and mix and match as required (see my mlabwrap module at
    <http://mlabwrap.sf.net>).

    E.g. do do a pretty surface plot from python, try:

    >>> from mlabwrap import mlab; from scipy import *
    >>> xx = arange(-2*pi, 2*pi, 0.2)
    >>> mlab.surf(subtract.outer(sin(xx),cos(xx)))

    Once matplotlib is up to the task, it should be easy to get rid of matlab
    dependencies in you code.

    'as

    Alexander Schmolck, May 11, 2006