Membership Access Rules?

Keith G Hicks

asp.net 2.0.

Where are the Access Rules stored? I know where the memberships, users,
roles and such are in the sql membership tables. But I created some folder
access rules and opened up all the membership tables to see where that info
was located and it's not in any of them. Can someone tell me where to look?

Keith

Keith G Hicks

Well, never mind. I figured it out. They're stored in web.config files in
the various folders. I guess I'm wondering how to do page security though.
It seems like using the membership strategy limits you to security by
folder. Would I have to implement the older .net 1 FormsAuthentication as
well if I want to do restrictions on specific pages? Or is that dumb? Is it
better to just put pages in folders and base all the security on folders?

Keith

Mark Fitzpatrick

Actually, not it doesn't. You can go down even further using the <location>
element in a web.config file and set specific configurations just for a
particular location, such as an indivudal page. This is really useful for
instances when you have a restricted application, but need a page that maybe
explains what to do if they can't login or some other data that needs to be
provided to an uncredentialed user.

Hope this Helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression