membership/role providers - transactions!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mehdi, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. mehdi

    mehdi Guest

    Hi folks,
    I got a general question that I cannot find the answer for. Consider a
    3-tier application architecture with a Web Service handling the
    business layer (BL) logic. The BL provides the client the facility to
    create/update/delete or query any given Employee account within the
    system. Each employee has got a username/password pair that's supposed
    to be stored in the *aspnetdb* database using the Membership API. The
    question is that how a client is supposed to create an employee account
    with one web method, and create a new user name with another web
    method, *transactionally* under a *stateless* web service???

    [WebMethod] void CreateEmployee(Employee employee) { }

    [WebMethod] void CreateUser(string username, string password) {}

    How am I supposed to keep the integrity of the system? Maybe, you
    suggest the following WebMethod instead of those two:

    void CreateEmployee(Employee employee, string username, string
    password) {}

    However, this introduces a new bunch of problems under the
    UpdateEmployee/DeleteEmployee and the like methods.

    What should be done to handle the issue rationally?

    Thank you for your time,
    Mehdi

    mehdi, Nov 30, 2006