Merging Powerpoint slides?

Trigger

I was hoping to get some opinions on how best to approach a problem:

A customer will browse our web site selecting .ppt presentations
he/she wishes to download. In the background, these presentations are
merged into ONE presentation, which is then downloaded by the
customer.
My employer is concerned with performance (the site could receive
quite a bit of traffic) and security.

I have few ideas in mind:

1. Write a script to run on the web server that executes powerpnt.exe
-i <file1> <file2> <finalfile>.

2. Have the task performed by a separate machine with the same script
- which is executed by the web server. (Can wsh scripts be executed
remotely from another machine?)

3. Write a program to run as a service on a separate machine. It
would listen for file requests (generated by the web server) on a
given port, then perform the file merges and send the end result to
the customer.
- any suggestions which language to use here? Is VBscript capable of
this, or am I looking at using something like Java or C?