    Ray Guest

    are mht files readable by all browsers?

    -- Ray
    Ray, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Ray wrote:
    > are mht files readable by all browsers?

    file names (and extentions) are irrelevant. what is the mime type?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    there mht files are capsule-like files I first encountered saving pages via
    MS Internet Explorer... I now notice some freeware html editors have an
    option to save webpages into that format... has the advantage of containing
    all the graphics within the same file, eliminating the need to upload those
    image files to a separate folder and then have links to those graphics...

    -- Ray

    Ray, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Ray

    lostinspace Guest

    > there mht files are capsule-like files I first encountered saving pages

    via
    > MS Internet Explorer... I now notice some freeware html editors have an
    > option to save webpages into that format... has the advantage of

    containing
    > all the graphics within the same file, eliminating the need to upload

    those
    > image files to a separate folder and then have links to those graphics...
    >
    > -- Ray
    >
    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > > Ray wrote:
    > > > are mht files readable by all browsers?
    > > >

    > > file names (and extentions) are irrelevant. what is the mime type?
    > >
    > > --
    > > William Tasso -

    <snip>has the advantage of containing all the graphics within the same
    file<snip>

    Ray,
    Is this containemnt done via VML?
    If so than than the images are useless to anybody with the excpetion of MS
    users which utilize the VML software.
    Have you ever visited a website which was created by Word with use of
    embedded images, via VML?
    http://www.ena.aero/enaroot/frame.html
    lostinspace, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I know nothing about VML... visited the site you suggested and it tried to
    start ms installer while stuff downloaded... finally got the ms installer
    killed and look at the page, which seems to use frames and regular html...

    what I'm looking for is a way to have all resources for any given page
    contained within that page so that viewers get everything needed to view
    (and store if they wish) all at once and from one file only... and that
    would also simplify tings on my end..

    -- Ray

    Ray, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Ray

    lostinspace Guest

    > I know nothing about VML... visited the site you suggested and it tried to
    > start ms installer while stuff downloaded... finally got the ms installer
    > killed and look at the page, which seems to use frames and regular html...
    >
    > what I'm looking for is a way to have all resources for any given page
    > contained within that page so that viewers get everything needed to view
    > (and store if they wish) all at once and from one file only... and that
    > would also simplify tings on my end..
    >
    > -- Ray
    >
    > "lostinspace" <> wrote in message

    If you looked at the page with "ms installer killed" than you did NOT see
    any images.
    Which, is my point!
    The images are imbeded with Vector Markup Language and require the VML
    software for viewing.

    The best solution for you would be to create a self-extracting ZIP file
    which contains three things:
    The webpage, the images and a batch file for running the page.

    mht files should be discouraged as a method of delivering these items
    combined.
    lostinspace, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Ray wrote:

    > are mht files readable by all browsers?

    Only Internet Explorer, although they can be read by some e-mail clients
    believe -- possibly including Opera's M2.

    This might sound a little strange until you understand of what the MHTML
    format consists -- it's a MIME e-mail message with the page as the body,
    with external files (images, etc) as attachments.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Ray

    Eric Cartman Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > are mht files readable by all browsers?
    >
    > -- Ray

    When you save a Web page as "Web archive," the Web page saves this
    information in Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension HTML (MHTML)
    format with a .mht file extension. All relative links in the Web page
    are remapped and the embedded content is included in the .mht file,
    rather than being saved in a separate folder. The absolute references
    or hyperlinks on the Web page remain unchanged and the .mht file is
    viewed using Internet Explorer.

    MHTML enables you to send and receive Web pages and other HTML
    documents using e-mail programs such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft
    Outlook, and Microsoft Outlook Express. MHTML enables you to embed
    images directly into the body of your e-mail messages rather than
    attaching them to the message.
    Eric Cartman, Nov 24, 2003