From: "Ray" <>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: mht files

there mht files are capsule-like files I first encountered saving pages via
MS Internet Explorer... I now notice some freeware html editors have an
option to save webpages into that format... has the advantage of containing
all the graphics within the same file, eliminating the need to upload those
image files to a separate folder and then have links to those graphics...

-- Ray

William Tasso said:
file names (and extentions) are irrelevant. what is the mime type?

<snip>has the advantage of containing all the graphics within the same
file<snip>

Ray,
Is this containemnt done via VML?
If so than than the images are useless to anybody with the excpetion of MS
users which utilize the VML software.
Have you ever visited a website which was created by Word with use of
embedded images, via VML?
http://www.ena.aero/enaroot/frame.html

Ray

I know nothing about VML... visited the site you suggested and it tried to
start ms installer while stuff downloaded... finally got the ms installer
killed and look at the page, which seems to use frames and regular html...

what I'm looking for is a way to have all resources for any given page
contained within that page so that viewers get everything needed to view
(and store if they wish) all at once and from one file only... and that
would also simplify tings on my end..

-- Ray

I know nothing about VML... visited the site you suggested and it tried to
start ms installer while stuff downloaded... finally got the ms installer
killed and look at the page, which seems to use frames and regular html...

what I'm looking for is a way to have all resources for any given page
contained within that page so that viewers get everything needed to view
(and store if they wish) all at once and from one file only... and that
would also simplify tings on my end..

-- Ray

If you looked at the page with "ms installer killed" than you did NOT see
any images.
Which, is my point!
The images are imbeded with Vector Markup Language and require the VML
software for viewing.

The best solution for you would be to create a self-extracting ZIP file
which contains three things:
The webpage, the images and a batch file for running the page.

mht files should be discouraged as a method of delivering these items
combined.

Toby A Inkster

Ray said:
are mht files readable by all browsers?

Only Internet Explorer, although they can be read by some e-mail clients
believe -- possibly including Opera's M2.

This might sound a little strange until you understand of what the MHTML
format consists -- it's a MIME e-mail message with the page as the body,
with external files (images, etc) as attachments.

Eric Cartman

Ray said:
are mht files readable by all browsers?

-- Ray

When you save a Web page as "Web archive," the Web page saves this
information in Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension HTML (MHTML)
format with a .mht file extension. All relative links in the Web page
are remapped and the embedded content is included in the .mht file,
rather than being saved in a separate folder. The absolute references
or hyperlinks on the Web page remain unchanged and the .mht file is
viewed using Internet Explorer.

MHTML enables you to send and receive Web pages and other HTML
documents using e-mail programs such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft
Outlook, and Microsoft Outlook Express. MHTML enables you to embed
images directly into the body of your e-mail messages rather than
attaching them to the message.