    1. Advertising

  2. Tim Hunter

    Alex Young Guest

    Alex Young, May 1, 2007

  3. Alex Young wrote:
    > Tim Hunter wrote:
    >> Interesting.
    >>
    >> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6180322.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news
    >>

    > Do we know if that's the same as this?
    >
    > http://www.wilcob.com/Wilco/IronRuby.aspx

    I would be very surprised if it was. Last I'd heard IronRuby was mostly
    dead, and I'm sure it wasn't written to fit this new "dynamic language
    runtime" Microsoft has announced. I'd wager they co-opted the name from
    Wilco and are running with their own internal implementation.

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, May 1, 2007
  4. Tim Hunter

    Guido Guest

    On 2007-05-01 09:46:46 +0200, Alex Young <> said:

    > Do we know if that's the same as this?
    >
    > http://www.wilcob.com/Wilco/IronRuby.aspx

    No, it is derived from RubyCLR by John Lam:
    <http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=304541>

    Guido, May 1, 2007
  5. Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

    >> Do we know if that's the same as this?
    >>
    >> http://www.wilcob.com/Wilco/IronRuby.aspx

    > I would be very surprised if it was.

    I suspect it's a merge between IronRuby and RubyCLR. Remember John Lam
    (author of RubyCLR) now works for Microsoft, along side Jim Huginin(?)
    of IronPython and Jython fame.

    I can't wait for the day when I can fully use RSpec for both Java and
    NET projects. :-D

    Kevin Williams, May 1, 2007
  6. Guido wrote:
    > On 2007-05-01 09:46:46 +0200, Alex Young <> said:
    >
    >> Do we know if that's the same as this?
    >>
    >> http://www.wilcob.com/Wilco/IronRuby.aspx

    > No, it is derived from RubyCLR by John Lam:
    > <http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=304541>

    It's definitely not derived from RubyCLR, since that was just a bridge
    to the C implementation of Ruby (MRI) and this is a CLR-native
    implementation.

    I'll bet anyone a beer it's all new code, unrelated to Wilco's IronRuby
    and John's RubyCLR (and even Queensland University's Ruby.NET).

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, May 1, 2007