Microsoft announces IronRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter

Alex said:
Do we know if that's the same as this?

http://www.wilcob.com/Wilco/IronRuby.aspx

I would be very surprised if it was. Last I'd heard IronRuby was mostly
dead, and I'm sure it wasn't written to fit this new "dynamic language
runtime" Microsoft has announced. I'd wager they co-opted the name from
Wilco and are running with their own internal implementation.

- Charlie

Kevin Williams

Charles said:
I would be very surprised if it was.

I suspect it's a merge between IronRuby and RubyCLR. Remember John Lam
(author of RubyCLR) now works for Microsoft, along side Jim Huginin(?)
of IronPython and Jython fame.

I can't wait for the day when I can fully use RSpec for both Java and
NET projects. :-D

Charles Oliver Nutter

Guido said:
No, it is derived from RubyCLR by John Lam:
<http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=304541>

It's definitely not derived from RubyCLR, since that was just a bridge
to the C implementation of Ruby (MRI) and this is a CLR-native
implementation.

I'll bet anyone a beer it's all new code, unrelated to Wilco's IronRuby
and John's RubyCLR (and even Queensland University's Ruby.NET).

- Charlie