Migrating Projects from Eclipse 3.0 to 3.2

sengsational

I installed 3.2.1 a while back and put a few new projects in there,
but mostly kept my old 3.0.1 running to keep disruption to a minimum
while I checked-out the newer version of Eclipse.

Well, now I'm ready to go "all in", but don't know how to do it
efficiently. I've got something like 60 projects in 3.0.1. I copied
them all to the workspace used by 3.2.1 and I know if I do a "new
project" on each one, I can get the projects to show-up, but a couple
of issues with this....

I'm not sure what "flavor" each project is, so it would be a pain to
try to figure that out for each. I have loaded the (current version
of) the plugins I used in 3.0.1 like JBossIDE, etc, so there shouldn't
be anything left out when I import. Even if I researched the flavor,
I'm concerned that this method might not get it right, besides my
having to type them all in.

It just seemed to me that there must be a better way. I renamed
the .metadata in the workspace folder, but that didn't help (it just
made a blank one, and didn't import any of my projects).

So, how am I supposed to get my old projects into a new Eclipse
workspace?

--Dale--

lord.zoltar

[...]

You say you copied the projects to your workspace, but that doesn't
mean they will be picked up by Eclipse automatically. Try Importing
the projects to your current workspace.

Richard Reynolds

sengsational said:
[...]

Good luck with that, just wanted to say to be careful and make sure you back
up your old workspace before opening with the new eclipse version, it
screwed a few of mine up.

I also found that lots of 3.1 run configurations, when checked out of cvs as
eclipse projects into 3.2, don't seem to be compatible - that's for both
Java and C++.

Lew

Richard said:
Good luck with that, just wanted to say to be careful and make sure you back
up your old workspace before opening with the new eclipse version, it
screwed a few of mine up.

I also found that lots of 3.1 run configurations, when checked out of cvs as
eclipse projects into 3.2, don't seem to be compatible - that's for both
Java and C++.

It is rare that one can copy workspaces in an IDE without trouble. Workspaces
have all sorts of situational information in them; they almost never are any
kind of portable.

Move workspaces through your version control system.

If you want to move projects between workspaces, do it through the version
control system.

Version control should mediate all transfers of code or projects between
workspaces.

The key is to use your version control system.

sengsational

You say you copied the projects to your workspace, but that doesn't
mean they will be picked up by Eclipse automatically. Try Importing
the projects to your current workspace

I don't know how I missed that! Under File > Import > General >
"Existing Projects into Workspace". Thanks LZ. It wasn't perfect
(quite a few didn't build), and some showed in the wizard multiple
times, but I boared through it and it's where I wanted to be, for the
most part.

--Dale--