    like to keep.

    Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    on a PC?
    clavius, Oct 8, 2009

  2. clavius wrote:

    > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > on a PC?

    No I use two PCs and a KVM switch.
    Computers are cheap.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Oct 8, 2009

  3. clavius

    Paul Floyd Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:20:37 -0700 (PDT), clavius <> wrote:
    > I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
    > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
    > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
    > like to keep.
    >
    > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > on a PC?

    If you can't have two PCs as Mike suggests, then there are two other
    possibilities:
    1. Multiboot. You'll either have to add another hard disk, or make space
    on the disk with Windows on. This will have the best performance, but
    you will not be able to run Windows apps whilst booted to Linux or vice
    versa.
    2. Virtual Machines, e.g., vmware, virtual box etc. I don't know where
    they are wrt 64bit clients running 64bit hosts OSes. You will be able to
    run apps simultaneously, but there will be a performance penalty in
    using the VM.

    A bientot
    Paul
    [Not speaking for Mentor Graphics]
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
    Paul Floyd, Oct 8, 2009
  4. clavius

    Tricky Guest

    On 8 Oct, 18:20, clavius <> wrote:
    > I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
    > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux.   However, I currently have 64-
    > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
    > like to keep.
    >
    > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > on a PC?

    I assume you have a large memory area to map into?

    Have you tried creating a sparse memory model, only creating small
    chunks of memory as and when they are used? From the design, the
    memory still looks like the full memory.
    Tricky, Oct 9, 2009
  5. clavius

    Sean Durkin Guest

    clavius wrote:
    > I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
    > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
    > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
    > like to keep.
    >
    > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > on a PC?

    Yep, shouldn't be a problem, as long as you install Linux AFTER Windows.
    Windows tends to overwrite third-party boot managers during
    installation, and it's a bit of a hassle to get that working again
    afterwards. So you could put in another hardrive, or make some room on
    the one Windows is installed on, then install Linux and then choose
    during startup which OS you want to boot.

    Another possibility would be to, as other posts suggest, use some kind
    of virtual machine. The problem here is that you normally need the RAM
    you want the virtual Linux machine to have PLUS what the Windows host
    needs, so that's a whole lot...

    The third option, again like others suggested, is use another machine.
    This I would prefer... I have a 64bit-Linux-machine stacked away
    somewhere in a server room where it can run 24/7 and connect via Xming
    from a Windows host. If the LAN is reasonably fast this is not noticably
    slower than having the app run on the local machine. Plus, if the
    simulation takes a lot of time, you can run that on the remote machine
    and keep working on something else on your Windows machine without
    slowing it down.

    HTH,
    Sean
    Sean Durkin, Oct 11, 2009
  6. clavius

    d_s_klein Guest

    On Oct 8, 12:53 pm, Paul Floyd <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:20:37 -0700 (PDT), clavius <> wrote:
    > > I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
    > > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux.   However, I currently have 64-
    > > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
    > > like to keep.

    > > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > > on a PC?

    > If you can't have two PCs as Mike suggests, then there are two other
    > possibilities:
    > 1. Multiboot. You'll either have to add another hard disk, or make space
    > on the disk with Windows on. This will have the best performance, but
    > you will not be able to run Windows apps whilst booted to Linux or vice
    > versa.
    > 2. Virtual Machines, e.g., vmware, virtual box etc. I don't know where
    > they are wrt 64bit clients running 64bit hosts OSes. You will be able to
    > run apps simultaneously, but there will be a performance penalty in
    > using the VM.
    >
    > A bientot
    > Paul
    > [Not speaking for Mentor Graphics]
    > --
    > Paul Floyd                http://paulf.free.fr

    RE: #2

    64 bit guests work just fine in 64bit hosts. My preference is a Linux
    host, and linux/windows guests.

    The virtualizer steals about 2% of the CPU (in my benchmarks) - that
    ain't much.

    As someone pointed out, a killer 64-bit Linux machine can be had for
    10% of a questasim license. Why try to get one machine to do so
    much? Where is the savings?

    RK
    d_s_klein, Oct 12, 2009
  7. clavius

    HT-Lab Guest

    "clavius" <> wrote in message
    >I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
    > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
    > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
    > like to keep.
    >
    > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
    > on a PC?

    Just in case you are not aware of this, Modelsim PE 6.4 and later are linked
    with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch (see release notes). This switch will give
    Modelsim PE/DE an extra GB under Win32 (total 3Gbyte, see
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810(EXCHG.65).aspx)

    Unfortunately as far as I know this switch does not give Modelsim PE/DE 4GB when
    invoking under XP64/Vista64 but apparently it does under 64bits Linux (Modelsim
    DE runs in its own virtual 4GByte address space on 64bits Linux).

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Oct 14, 2009