    Agony Distributor for this IDE.

    Comeon MS do better.

    Lloyd Sheen
    Lloyd Sheen, Jan 24, 2004

  2. What do u mean by "change the name so that all code will work" ????

    obviously if u referred to a control using an old name, and at some later
    stage change the name of the control, the code is still going to refer to it
    using the old name.

    I am glad the IDE doesn;t change your code....

    and btw, the auto formatting of VS.NET works very well for me, including the
    auto indentation. so i really don;t know what you are cribbing so much
    about. and besides VS.NET is a development tool, not a page designing or a
    graphics app.

    Regards,
    Nauzad Kapadia [MVP]

    "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    > After formatting killed the control. I delete it. Add it new. Can I
    > change the name so that all existing code will work. Not a chance.
    > Somewhere the old name exists.
    >
    > I guess this IDE only works if no problems are found. RAD stands for

    Rapid

    Nauzad Kapadia, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    I deleted the control with the name I want to use, readded the control and
    tried to apply the old name. I had to get out of IDE and then back in.
    There is a cache somewhere that is not being informed that the control was
    deleted. I deleted it from the designer after the reformatting had
    destroyed the page.

    This has happened before. The IDE does not want mistakes to be made and
    since I am just human we don't get along.

    Lloyd Sheen

    "Nauzad Kapadia" <> wrote in message
    > What do u mean by "change the name so that all code will work" ????
    >
    > obviously if u referred to a control using an old name, and at some later
    > stage change the name of the control, the code is still going to refer to

    it
    > using the old name.
    >
    > I am glad the IDE doesn;t change your code....
    >
    > and btw, the auto formatting of VS.NET works very well for me, including

    the
    > auto indentation. so i really don;t know what you are cribbing so much
    > about. and besides VS.NET is a development tool, not a page designing or a
    > graphics app.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nauzad Kapadia [MVP]
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in

    message

    Lloyd Sheen, Jan 24, 2004
  4. let me explain to you what happens.

    when you add a control thru your designer, a reference to your control is
    also added in your code behind file. This allows your code to map to event
    handlers etc. When you delete a control, the designer does not delete the
    entries from the code behind file (for some very good reasons).

    To get around this, all you have to do is manually go to the code behind
    file and go into the "Visual Studio Generated Code" Region and delete the
    lines that declare and instantiate your control. There should be 2 lines for
    the same. If you are using C# then remember to delete the event handlers as
    well.

    Nauzad Kapadia, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    I thought this was supposed to be RAD IDE. For everything you have to
    remember to do that is a problem with the IDE, the value decreases. I was
    using the previous IDE for C++ and the IDE for VB classic with almost no
    problems. It would seem that lessons learned with those products have been
    forgotten or ignored.

    When I delete a control from the designer, why would one think that you have
    to go looking for all references. The original reason for this posting was
    that the designer destroyed my page on a simple shift from design to HTML.
    I was in the process of rebuilding the page (should have saved it in VSS ,
    and this is something I will have to do more often to offset the IDE).

    I keep seeing posting saying wait until the next release. I don't think
    this has been a good experience. MS's strength is usually the UI but in
    this case too many problem spoil the experience and when you are trying to
    accomplish something there is enough to learn and implement without the $$$
    IDE working against you.

    > let me explain to you what happens.
    >
    > when you add a control thru your designer, a reference to your control is
    > also added in your code behind file. This allows your code to map to event
    > handlers etc. When you delete a control, the designer does not delete the
    > entries from the code behind file (for some very good reasons).
    >
    > To get around this, all you have to do is manually go to the code behind
    > file and go into the "Visual Studio Generated Code" Region and delete the
    > lines that declare and instantiate your control. There should be 2 lines

    for
    > the same. If you are using C# then remember to delete the event handlers

    as
    > well.
    >
    > regards,
    > Nauzad Kapadia [MVP]
    >
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in

    message

    Lloyd Sheen, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Lloyd Sheen

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    If this is a problem to you, might I suggest you try out Borland C# Builder.
    You will find that the same problem exists there as well. The .NET IDE is
    thru its first iteration 1.x. Comparing this to C++ ide which has been thru
    6 major iterations is not comparing apples to apples. As always, there are
    still lots of improvements to be done, but the fact is that microsoft got it
    mostly right. This issue is already addressed in the next release. Is it so
    much of a pain to find the references in the meantime and change them? You
    are focussing on the unimportant here. As you are aware, the issue has
    already been resolved, what benefit is it to keep dragging this out?

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
    > I thought this was supposed to be RAD IDE. For everything you have to
    > remember to do that is a problem with the IDE, the value decreases. I was
    > using the previous IDE for C++ and the IDE for VB classic with almost no
    > problems. It would seem that lessons learned with those products have

    been
    > forgotten or ignored.
    >
    > When I delete a control from the designer, why would one think that you

    have
    > to go looking for all references. The original reason for this posting

    was
    > that the designer destroyed my page on a simple shift from design to HTML.
    > I was in the process of rebuilding the page (should have saved it in VSS ,
    > and this is something I will have to do more often to offset the IDE).
    >
    > I keep seeing posting saying wait until the next release. I don't think
    > this has been a good experience. MS's strength is usually the UI but in
    > this case too many problem spoil the experience and when you are trying to
    > accomplish something there is enough to learn and implement without the

    $$$

    Alvin Bruney, Jan 25, 2004