MSXML installation help

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Botch the Crab, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Hi! I am running Personal Web Manager on Windows 2000 SP4 as my
    development environment, and have been maintaining my classic ASP
    sites like this for some time.

    I wanted to find an ASP script that would fetch, parse and display an
    RSS feed. I had no problem finding some scripts, but I was unable to
    run any of them on my local server. Basically, no matter what script I
    try, it fails when trying to create the MSXML object. Variations have
    included:

    Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.3.0")
    Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
    Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")

    But I always get:

    Server.CreateObject Failed
    Invalid ProgID

    Doing some research, I found that I didn't have any versions of MSXML
    installed. So I headed to Microsoft.

    I was apparently able to install MSXML 4.0 (as confirmed by an MSXML
    sniffer and Add/Remove Programs), but that didn't help. I tried (and
    tried and tried) to install MSXML 3.0, since that is what the majority
    of scripts I have found seems to call for.... but no matter how many
    times I install it (or the SDK) I do not seem to have success.

    Suggestions?

    Is there a way to modify 3.0 code for a 4.0 installation?

    Is there a way to check my 3.0 (or 4.0) installation to make sure it's
    installed correctly?

    I've spent 2 hours on this, and all I can say is that Microsoft's site
    is very unhelpful. :(

    Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

    ~ Botch the Crab
    Botch the Crab, Nov 25, 2007

  2. "Botch the Crab" <> wrote in message
    > Hi! I am running Personal Web Manager on Windows 2000 SP4 as my
    > development environment, and have been maintaining my classic ASP
    > sites like this for some time.
    >
    > I wanted to find an ASP script that would fetch, parse and display an
    > RSS feed. I had no problem finding some scripts, but I was unable to
    > run any of them on my local server. Basically, no matter what script I
    > try, it fails when trying to create the MSXML object. Variations have
    > included:
    >
    > Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.3.0")
    > Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
    > Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    > Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
    >
    > But I always get:
    >
    > Server.CreateObject Failed
    > Invalid ProgID
    >
    > Doing some research, I found that I didn't have any versions of MSXML
    > installed. So I headed to Microsoft.
    >
    > I was apparently able to install MSXML 4.0 (as confirmed by an MSXML
    > sniffer and Add/Remove Programs), but that didn't help. I tried (and
    > tried and tried) to install MSXML 3.0, since that is what the majority
    > of scripts I have found seems to call for.... but no matter how many
    > times I install it (or the SDK) I do not seem to have success.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Is there a way to modify 3.0 code for a 4.0 installation?
    >
    > Is there a way to check my 3.0 (or 4.0) installation to make sure it's
    > installed correctly?
    >
    > I've spent 2 hours on this, and all I can say is that Microsoft's site
    > is very unhelpful. :(
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

    What browser have you installed? IE6 would normally install a version of
    MSXML3.dll for you.

    When you say "I do not seem to have success" when installing MSXML 3.0, what
    exactly are you doiing? And what is happening? Is there an error? Are
    the dlls not appearing in the system32?

    I don't have any experience with personal web manager but are you confident
    that these objects are uninstatiable outside of it. Try creating a simple
    ..vbs file with :-

    Set o = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.3.0")

    Does that also fail?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Botch the Crab wrote:

    > Is there a way to modify 3.0 code for a 4.0 installation?

    Yes, you can simply use the 4.0 suffix on program ids e.g.
    CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")
    or
    CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
    create MSXML 4.0 objects.

    --

    Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Nov 25, 2007
  4. "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message
    > Botch the Crab wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to modify 3.0 code for a 4.0 installation?

    > Yes, you can simply use the 4.0 suffix on program ids e.g.
    > CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")
    > or
    > CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
    > create MSXML 4.0 objects.

    However since you're "running Personal Web Manager on Windows 2000 SP4 as my
    development environment" you need to consider what will be installed on the
    target machine(s).

    You really have two choices, stick with 3.0 which ought to be present on a
    Windows 2000 SP4 server and above or have them install 6.0. MS are only
    updating the the core code of 3.0 and 6.0 (and if they get their way
    probably only 6.0 in the future). Therefore avoid 4.0 or 5.0 if you can
    help it.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Nov 25, 2007
  5. To answer your questions:

    I have IE 6 installed.

    Regarding installing MSXML 3, I went to Microsoft's download site and
    found the respective pages billed as the MSXML 3 SDK and the various
    MSXML 3 versions (there's a lot, SP4, SP5, etc). I clicked on the the
    MSI file on the page, downloaded it, ran it, and that's it. I did this
    for probably every SP version of MSXML 3 I could find, as well as the
    SDK. If there's something I have to do besides just running it, I'm
    not aware of it.

    However, the following files do appear in system32: msxml.dll,
    msxmlr.dll, msxml3.dll, msxml3a.dll, msxml3r.dll; Also: msxml4.dll,
    msxml4a.dll, msxml4r.dll.

    So the installation seems to go fine, but my MSXML version sniffing
    page says I still only have 4.0.

    As far as the simple VBS page... if you mean creating a simple one-
    line simple.vbs file with that line in it... I did that, ran it both
    by double-clicking on it and running it at the command prompt, and
    nothing happened either time. No errors or perceived action. (Which I
    guess is good?)

    BTW, I did try changing the suffix of the CreateObject call:

    Set xmlHttp = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
    xmlHttp.Open "Get", URLToRSS, false
    xmlHttp.Send()
    RSSXML = xmlHttp.ResponseText

    But then I always get a "The connection with the server was terminated
    abnormally" on the Send() line. I was never sure if it was a syntactic
    difference between the versions or what. I know the feed is working,
    though, so it's not that.

    Lastly, based on what I know my host server to have installed, since
    they don't appear to use 6.0, I better shoot for 3.0 and getting that
    working locally.

    THANKS so much for all your feedback so far. If you have any further
    suggestions based on my responses, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

    ~ Adam
    Botch the Crab, Nov 25, 2007