Multiple web applications

Sammy

I have a Windows 2003 Server with two websites. One hosts a web service and
the other a web application. When my team checks out solutions to work with,
a problem arrises. Windows XP (the development machines) IIS can only have
one website. What's the best solution for this, should I disable certain
developers from checking out the web services solution, while disable the
others, say from checking out the web application, so that only one can
exist on a development machine at a time? Is there a better alternative?

Thank you,
Sammy

Willie Ferguson

Sammy,

You can add more web sites on XP using adsutil.vbs.

cd\inetpub\AdminScripts cscript adsutil.vbs COPY W3SVC/1 W3SVC/2

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/<[email protected]>

I have a Windows 2003 Server with two websites. One hosts a web service and
the other a web application. When my team checks out solutions to work with,
a problem arrises. Windows XP (the development machines) IIS can only have
one website. What's the best solution for this, should I disable certain
developers from checking out the web services solution, while disable the
others, say from checking out the web application, so that only one can
exist on a development machine at a time? Is there a better alternative?

Thank you,
Sammy

[microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet]

Willie Ferguson

Sammy,

I'll try again:

You can add more web sites to XP, but only one can run at a time. To add a second web site on XP use the following commands:
cd\inetpub\AdminScripts
cscript adsutil.vbs COPY W3SVC/1 W3SVC/2

This will copy the configuration from the first site to a second site. The site can be enabled/disabled in the IIS Manager.

Willie

[...]

Yes, but is this really the way it should be done?