mutually exclusive check boxes

arun

Hi

Can any one suggest me how to access the mutually exclusive check boxes
in a table of 7 rows by 14 columns. Only one can be selected in each
row. Other than checking each one with if condition is there any other
way( for example by using their keys or something). Please help me.

Arun

Mark Rae

Can any one suggest me how to access the mutually exclusive check boxes
in a table of 7 rows by 14 columns. Only one can be selected in each
row. Other than checking each one with if condition is there any other
way( for example by using their keys or something). Please help me.

Well, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, that's what radio buttons
are for...

arun

Thanks for your fast action.

But in this case I have to leave a row with no option checked (if a
user wants to do that).

arun

Hi

First of all I am sorry to post the same message again and again. I
didnt do that intensionally. But I would have appreciated your answer
if it was more helpful to me. And as you told this is not at all a
private web. Thanks for opening my eyes

Mark Rae

But in this case I have to leave a row with no option checked (if a
user wants to do that).

Why didn't you say that in the first place...?

So why not have an additional radio button called "None" or something
similar...?

Eliyahu Goldin

I personally don't like introducing extra gui elements just to make the
developer's job easier. I would likely handle client-side onclick event to
unclick all the checkboxes but the one that caused the event.

Mark Rae

I personally don't like introducing extra gui elements just to make the
developer's job easier. I would likely handle client-side onclick event to
unclick all the checkboxes but the one that caused the event.

But to do that completely flies in the face of "accepted" GUI standards...
Checkboxes are not designed to be mutually exclusive - that's what radio
buttons are for...

Eliyahu Goldin

Could be. Not the biggest crime though. Somehow the idea of a
"none-or-one-only" checkbox group doesn't upset my usability sense.